PDA

View Full Version : rabbits and easter

Beatrix Potter
30-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone

I've been trying to do my bit with the rabbit welfares "makeminechocolate.co.uk" campaign but I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall!

I've contacted all my local radio stations and newpapers and not one of them has replied to me, posted the campaign on my works forum and on the freecycle cafe forums, contacted pets at home again with no reply and today a freecycle message came through from someone who wants all kind of rabbit items as is buying her son a rabbit for easter :evil::evil::evil:

I heard pets at home were meant to stop selling them at easter but not sure if this was just a rumour?

kerry-123
30-03-2009, 02:53 PM
eugh I wish you luck not sure what p@h are doing

OriginalFlintstone
30-03-2009, 02:55 PM
P@H aren't officially stopping rabbits for easter, but as we can't get any buns in at the moment anyway we may as well. We do have some lovely big fluffy bunnies for sale tho, can't remember the names but they are only 5 and they don't need any where near as much looking after!!

winnies angel
30-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I took leaflets along with me selling my book and put them next to a choc rabbit. Noone was interested I even started to talk about it and they just walked away not taking leaflet or were more interested in where I got choc rabbit from.
People even asked if i had rabbits they could buy with me:shock:
People are stupid and really make me sick when it comes to animals

winnies angel
30-03-2009, 02:57 PM
P@H aren't officially stopping rabbits for easter, but as we can't get any buns in at the moment anyway we may as well. We do have some lovely big fluffy bunnies for sale tho, can't remember the names but they are only 5 and they don't need any where near as much looking after!!

Im confused buns dont need much looking after???

Bluesmum
30-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I think they might be cuddly toy buns....at least I hope they are!

Beatrix Potter
30-03-2009, 03:01 PM

thats what I was thinking!

giantbunnymummy
30-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I was idly having a look at preloved last night (don't know why I do it - it's just a form of self-torture really, all the little bunnies free to good homes etc) and there were loads of 'ready for Easter' adverts :roll:

winnies angel
30-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Hope so! Although I was in pet shop other day and they were rabbits for sale for 5-10

youngbunny2
30-03-2009, 03:09 PM
oh yes the 5 buns are lovely! an excellent kids gift

OriginalFlintstone
30-03-2009, 03:13 PM

:lol::lol:
We have one in an indoor Guinea Pig cage and the ears stick out the top:lol::lol:

Beatrix Potter
30-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I was idly having a look at preloved last night (don't know why I do it - it's just a form of self-torture really, all the little bunnies free to good homes etc) and there were loads of 'ready for Easter' adverts :roll:

I ask myself the same question:cry:

devoted2buns
30-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I know the feeling, people just dont see / love rabbits the way we all do and its very frustrating at times.

FudgeMallow
30-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Ive had many family members ask about buying a bunny for there kids for easter :roll: they did not take my advice about a chocolate bunny or money, why bother :? :? :? :?..............
What happened to the good old days of getting and easter EGG not a BUNNY :evil:

Mackers
30-03-2009, 05:21 PM
There's four cute fluffy little bunny babies in our P@H just waiting to be bought as little Jonnie's Easter present. Makes me want to cry. Mind you, I did have a look at the hutches for sale and although they're still just a hutch, they are much bigger than the hutches they used to sell so things have improved, if only a tiny, tiny, little bit :?

drpengie
30-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I saw a P@H ad on the telly yesterday advertising they sell rabbits and other pets!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

I will put a link & some info on my website if you like. I know it's the big companies that need ot get involved, but it's a start!

Beatrix Potter
30-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I saw a P@H ad on the telly yesterday advertising they sell rabbits and other pets!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

I will put a link & some info on my website if you like. I know it's the big companies that need ot get involved, but it's a start!

God!!! Thankfully I haven't seen that yet. They make me mad pets at home I'm sure they must make enough money selling all their other stuff.

Yes that would be great if you could put some info on your website, like you say its a start!

sonnet
31-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone
I've been trying to do my bit with the rabbit welfares "makeminechocolate.co.uk" campaign but I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall!
I've contacted all my local radio stations and newpapers and not one of them has replied to me

Surprised at the Evening Telegraph not being in touch as they have their regular rescue box in for rescues & often highlight them. I'd try again if I were you - pushing the fact that these rescues that they feature may not be so swamped if people got behind this campaign.
I also thought the Herald & Post used to have a pet/animal page but that seems to have disappeared in the last few issues which is a bit odd.
Ps-Popping the Animal Communications through your door tommorow :thumb:

FriskyClover
31-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi fellow Wellingburians (is that the correct spelling? Who knows)!

I'm surprised the Herald and Post isn't getting involved, they used to have quite a spread on rescue animals a while back.

What has annoyed me in the last week is that our local agricultural college has started selling pets in their garden centre. They had 3 rabbits, which I would have said were about 6 months old in fairly small enclosures. Considering the college often takes in RSPCA rescues, you would have thought they would know better:(.

I wear my MMC badge!

Rhian33
06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
People really aren't getting the message. Just found this ad on my local Freecycle (yes that old chestnut again):-

"my 3 year old niece is getting a bunny for easter and needs a hutch and or run
to put it in. can collect and thanks to all in advance"

The part that concern me most is the fact it is for a 3 year old not to mention A bunny. At least they are asking for a run so at least the poor thing will get some excercise.

happypreso
06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
People really aren't getting the message. Just found this ad on my local Freecycle (yes that old chestnut again):-

"my 3 year old niece is getting a bunny for easter and needs a hutch and or run
to put it in. can collect and thanks to all in advance"

The part that concern me most is the fact it is for a 3 year old not to mention A bunny. At least they are asking for a run so at least the poor thing will get some excercise.

I have just seen that one too ... was going to reply with a 'do you know what you are getting yourself into' kind of thing x x

Rhian33
06-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I have just seen that one too ... was going to reply with a 'do you know what you are getting yourself into' kind of thing x x

Must be the same group. I replied. Maybe you should too, more replies may make her think. I suggested it's not a good idea for a 3 year old and said about not keeping singles, neutering, vaccinations, lifespan and RSPCA guidelines on sizes of housing etc.

I also suggested some alternatives which would be more suitable. Really hope they listen.

Rhian33
06-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Anyway, this is the response I got

"as i said in the ad its for my niece !!! they have rabbits too already this is for the little girls easter gift"

She would be just as happy with a chocolate bunny I'm sure, kids of that age are much more about instant gratification than long term gain anyway.

AshLovesRabbits123
06-04-2009, 11:14 PM
whats rong with getting a bun for easter? x

Bunnyaddict
06-04-2009, 11:19 PM
whats rong with getting a bun for easter? x

Because quite often bunnies get bought as easter presents for children - just because they are cute, cuddley & adorable. Then very soon after easter the children get bored & fed up with having to care for them & clean them out - the bunnies then start to suffer & become neglected - if they are lucky they will get taken into a rescue if the rescue has room for them :cry: This is a big reason why so many rescues get overwhelmed with unwanted & neglected bunnies - sorry but I am afraid bunnies do not make 'good' children's pets unless the whole family, most importantly the parents are prepared to be responsible for the bunnies entire life.

If that isn't going to be the case then children should be bought a toy bunny for easter instead :?

Rhian33
06-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Because quite often bunnies get bought as easter presents for children - just because they are cute, cuddley & adorable. Then very soon after easter the children get bored & fed up with having to care for them & clean them out - the bunnies then start to suffer & become neglected - if they are lucky they will get taken into a rescue if the rescue has room for them :cry: This is a big reason why so many rescues get overwhelmed with unwanted & neglected bunnies - sorry but I am afraid bunnies do not make 'good' children's pets unless the whole family, most importantly the parents are prepared to be responsible for the bunnies entire life.

If that isn't going to be the case then children should be bought a toy bunny for easter instead :?

My point exactly. The bun was for a 3 year old :shock: . The response I got said she already had a horse, a dog, a hamster and bunnies and if she wanted another pet her parents would get it as she is mature and gentle. I personally don't think I was capable of looking after a bun even supervised until I was about 8 or 9 and I'm told I was very mature and responsible for my age. I always got a chocolate bunny and was more than happy.

happypreso
07-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Must be the same group. I replied. Maybe you should too, more replies may make her think. I suggested it's not a good idea for a 3 year old and said about not keeping singles, neutering, vaccinations, lifespan and RSPCA guidelines on sizes of housing etc.

I also suggested some alternatives which would be more suitable. Really hope they listen.

Just seen this (and the reply you got too) but I have already sent an email! It sounds like I said the same as you - about vac's, netuers, company, exercise etc. I went into costs as well (one factor I overlooked when I got my two bun's - just assumed it was some food and that would be the only cost!) and asked them to stick to a toy or chocolate one instead! judging by your replies it doesn't sound like she is going to listen though x

happypreso
07-04-2009, 10:09 AM
My point exactly. The bun was for a 3 year old :shock: . The response I got said she already had a horse, a dog, a hamster and bunnies and if she wanted another pet her parents would get it as she is mature and gentle. I personally don't think I was capable of looking after a bun even supervised until I was about 8 or 9 and I'm told I was very mature and responsible for my age. I always got a chocolate bunny and was more than happy.

That is so right, no 3 year old is capable of looking after a pet! I had rabbits when I was around 9 or 10 - I love animals (even volunteered down a vets at this age) but my parents still did check that the rabbits were okay and feed etc.

Peanut-Toffee
07-04-2009, 10:15 AM
The 2 local pet shops to me have gone all out on adveritsing rabbits at the moment too :(
The little private pet shop has a tiny hutch in the window, surrounded by everything else u need for a rabbit etc. Then in the animal bit they have little cute bunnys :(
The other shop which is part of a chain but not THAT chain, has all hutches and indoor cages out, no rabbits in at the moment but a sign up saying theres some coming in on this particular date (today I think?) and they can be sold after 48hours!!!! ie- Ready for Easter!

Peanut-Toffee
07-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh and in this particular chain of pet shops, Ive just remembered they do in fact have 2 rabbits in 1 side of the pen...Velveteen Rex rabbits!!!!
They're already quite big so I feel sorry for them already as the hutches they sell arent big enough to houise them :(

happypreso
07-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi, I got a reply from the freecycle lady! here it is:

good morning wendy many thanks for your kind email your the second person not to offer a hutch but advice !! my niece is a very loving little girl who already has a rabbit and has someone else suggested they do get bored and lonely !!! as we are situated in biggleswade were would be our nearest re homing centre?? bedford??

(I mentioned rescues in my email!). So can people give me some details on local rescue places please? I know she might still end up getting a bun but at least they will guide them and ensure the set up etc is right ...

Beatrix Potter
07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi fellow Wellingburians (is that the correct spelling? Who knows)!

I'm surprised the Herald and Post isn't getting involved, they used to have quite a spread on rescue animals a while back.

What has annoyed me in the last week is that our local agricultural college has started selling pets in their garden centre. They had 3 rabbits, which I would have said were about 6 months old in fairly small enclosures. Considering the college often takes in RSPCA rescues, you would have thought they would know better:(.

I wear my MMC badge!

hello!:wave:

I got an email back from the herald and post today again asking the same question about it being local.....I emailed back the same reply as I did to the ET and am now awaiting another response.....

Rhian33
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
(I mentioned rescues in my email!). So can people give me some details on local rescue places please? I know she might still end up getting a bun but at least they will guide them and ensure the set up etc is right ...

The only 1 I know is Wood Green Animal shelter in Godmanchester near Huntingdon. They wouldn't rehome to a 3 year old anyway as you have to fill in a form and say who it is for and pass a homecheck where the other bunny and it's accommodation would be looked at. I doubt they will listen to any of the advice as the run requirements are 10ft x 5ft which lots of people, even people who care about their buns think is excessive (I don't however as mine are free range so I know how they can fill any available space). It might be worth you giving her the info as she didn't want any of my advice.

Thanks for helping with this 1, I was just really shocked she thought it was acceptable to give a 3 year old a rabbit to care for. I'm still a little confused as to why they need another hutch and run if they already have 1 and protest they know how to look after rabbits.

Hugo's There
07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
There is also Woodgreen in Heydon. There is Heathlands and the Rabbit Residence in Royston and I think R.A.T.S. are based in the bedford area :)

Rhian33
07-04-2009, 07:19 PM
There is also Woodgreen in Heydon. There is Heathlands and the Rabbit Residence in Royston and I think R.A.T.S. are based in the bedford area :)

I knew you would come to my rescue on rescues (excuse the unintended pun) in Beds , thanks :wave:

vick
07-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Same here! I've posted a load of the MMC posters to local vets and dropped some off by hand today. I politely asked if they would mind displaying them in the waiting area and explained what they were for. They looked at me like I was some kind of looney tunes and assured me that they had to check it was ok with the manager first. I mean, is it really going to hurt to stick a poster or two on the wall?

Also had one of the MMC postcards up in the kitchen at work and it lasted a week before some moron wrote 'casserole?' on it. We then put up one of the new MMC posters in the same place and some busybody took it upon themselves to remove it two days later!!!!! :evil:

I despair, I really do. We are the minority.

happypreso
07-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for helping with this 1, I was just really shocked she thought it was acceptable to give a 3 year old a rabbit to care for. I'm still a little confused as to why they need another hutch and run if they already have 1 and protest they know how to look after rabbits.

Thanks for the details, I have replied to her with the details of the rescues and the link to GMTV this morning, fingers crossed that she might have some sense and listen!

happypreso
07-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Thank you! I have passed them on and hopefully she will listen and either not buy a bunny or at least get a rescue one.