• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby bunnies are becoming a new craze =(

MammaH

Alpha Buck
ive been on facebook over the weekend and noticed alot of people on my 'friends lists' are getting baby rabbits at least 10 people have had status's saying something along the lines of 'i want a baby bunny!' or 'bunnies are just too cute i want one!'
obviously wha with easter coming up and rabbits being related to easter people are buying them and i just think rabbits are becoming the latest craze like Ugg boots and Yo yo's :?

has anyone else noticed this?

An example...
******* wrote
at 11:01
Heyy..
aww i got mine from *******.. butt my sister went yesterday 2 see ours... and the woman sed they had no babies left.. butt they mite breed some more after easter or something..x

******* wrote
at 01:02
hey u! :eek:)
im after a baby rabbit!
where did you get yours?
x

i hope there isnt a new craze for buns!
most of them would only end up in rescue or getting bored of...
:(

That's sad. I too hope there isn't a 'craze' because I know who would have to pick up the pieces. I guess it's a case of catching everyone who says something like that and giving them the forum addy, or relevant info, so at least they are prepared.

gonna sound daft but majority of the girls (alot of them being people i knew from primary and secondary school) are into their designer, latest fashion be it westwood, uggs, pandora jewelry etc etc and i know of one person whose bought 2 baby bunnies and they are taking good care of them (her and her bf have them as house bunnies) but i dnt know it seems that there is this awful rippling effect of people wanting rabbits, not even rabbits 'baby bunnies' :(

my friend phoned me the other day telling me she gave her friend my number because she wants a bunny for easter for her 6 yr old daughter, she then went on to tell me that she was annoyed with her friend because she was thinking of getting rid of her dog because it keeps chewing the bin because it is shut in the kitchen all day (no wonder!). If she cant do whats best for a dog, i.e walk it etc then there is no way she is having a bunny off me!! Its terrible :roll:

To be honest, most of my friends go “OMG I WANT ONE!!!” when they see mine (or any bunny, really) but fortunately they are all quite sensible and once the giddy-moment has passed they know that they can’t actually get one with their circumstances or careers. But it doesn’t stop them saying they want one several times over and getting quite giddy about it.

Hope other people could be so sensible. Wish rabbits didn't have the 'children's pet' label still attached to them :(

Unfortunately it is the time of year where people go and get baby buns because of Easter, come September/October time and the weather goes colder us rescues will be getting most of them in:roll:

I've noticed that over the last 3 months my local pets at home only sell baby bunnies now. I've possibly seen one fully grown bun in there and it didn't get bought for ages. So I think that's possibly influencing people to buy baby buns too.

To be honest, most of my friends go “OMG I WANT ONE!!!” when they see mine (or any bunny, really) but fortunately they are all quite sensible and once the giddy-moment has passed they know that they can’t actually get one.

Wish rabbits didn't have the 'children's pet' label still attached to them :(

Actually I'm thinking I'd better keep Daisy out of sight when friends with kids visit!

Two of my friends have visited with their kids since Daisy arrived, and both children immediately started on the 'mummy can I have a rabbit?' conversation.

I told them both that bunnies don't really like children and usually bite them - and are only ok for people over 15 to have. As they're young and gullible I think i got away with it :D (I don't make a habit of lying to small children, honest;)).

Luckily these particular friends are sensible enough not to go out and get their young kids bunnies as pets, but unfortunately my brother-in-law is already talking about getting his 5-year-old a bunny after seeing Daisy :roll:

Well when i got my buns my aunte and his new wife came round with her son and saw so then they went out and got her son a bun... but it ended up going to her mothers.. even though she cannot even look after herself.. let alone a bun! :censored:
But the thing is... i then got 2 budgies.. they then went out and got a bird?!
:?

i hope this craze doesnt catch on.. and i hope people realise buns arent for small children.. :(

Ive been in contact withe the girl that posted about getting on and pointed her to the forum. i havent spoke to her in years and i told her about the responsibilites of looking after a bunny and how much of a handful they can be but its all worth it but havent heard anything back from her :? just hope she takes my advice, i also said to be careful if she does get one cause some petshops dnt really help and told her about rescues and to try her local animal shelters.. fingers crossed ey

i run a bunny boarding and yet today i have three people phoning up to ask if i have any baby bunnies for sale, and then yesterday i had someone else phone up.

i explain im a boarding service and they said 'oh, could you give me th enumber of a breeder?' and i said 'i dont know any' and she hung up without even saying goodbye!!

someone else i said 'i dont know any breeders but i know some rescues, and ive got my own foster bunnies here,...' and she said 'no no, we want a baby so it will be friendly'

i got asked a few weeks back where i got binx from (i did get him from a breeder :oops: ) and the girl asked if she was local (meaning back in middlesbrough) and i said no and she asked if i knew anyone locally that are selling baby bunnies or have any that had pregnant does cause she thinks theyre "so adorable and would probably be easier than a puppy or kitten to look after" quote i said no they're a handful if not more than a a puppy or a kitten because they need 24hour care and cant be shut up for hours and hours. think i got some sense into her

its very sad someone on my facebook put 'anyone want a free baby rabbit' and people just went mad like fighting over it,bloody stupid.

I was having ac hat with a pet shop owner today and he said that there is a huge shortage of bunnies from breeders as the demand is so high at the moment. :(He said he had to travel 60 miles for stock (i didn't buy SAmber fro him BTW)

Back