• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please HELP ? possible mites?? (VETS UPDATE - OH NO )

HelB

Warren Scout
:(Morning all.
Sorry not been around for a while but I am after some advice. Some of you may remember, I adopted Ruby the lion head (previously Toyah) last year from bunnymadhouse and we have been getting on brilliantly with her and Rory (my other rabbit). Lately though she has lost quite a lot of fur, stupidly we presumed she was older then we thought and getting ready for her new coat, as she has not lost tufts and I didnt notice anything else wrong with her. Anyway this weekend she has gone off her food and seems less happy. Whilst grooming her last night I noticed what looked like ecxema right on her back near her leg, quite hard to see. I am pretty sure she has a skin infestation, I feel terrible for missing this but I have never had any experience with skin problems before. Funnily enough I have recently thought I had become allergic to her as I had been sneezing and had swollen eyes - hopefully I am just allergic to the problem not her!

Anyways, dont worry I have booked her into the vets tonight. My question is, Rory seems absolutely fine - silly as ever and eating perfectly normal. Do I take him to the vets anyway to be checked? Also, what do I do about the hutch until we are clear of infestation? I dont like using shavings but do you think this would be best as its easily disposed of. I normally have carpet and litter trays but I'm scared the bugs will stay in the carpet. Please help as I scared that i'm stuck with the infestation for ever now.

Thank you

Last edited:
I suspect she may have Dental problems.
This can cause mites to occur as a result of Bun not being able to groom themself. The fact that she has also gone off her food is what makes me think 'teeth'.

So do get the Vet to have a good look in her mouth aswell as at her skin
I'd take Rory for a check-up too. Your Vet will advise you of any husbandary changes you need to make depending on what the diagnosis is.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm worried that Rory might have them as well even though he seems normal. I read last night that mites can be carried in hay. If thats the case how are we supposed to prevent rabbits from getting mites from something that is so vital to a rabbits diet? I always buy pre-packed, not farm bagged.

I am going to ask for a full health MOT to be on the safe side!

PS. What will the treatment be?

So I took them both to the vets last night. Ruby has mites, thankfully the vet said i'd done well to notice as it was very early and not too bad so can sort them out easily BUT we have another problem - her teeth.

She needs to have a dental after the treatment for the mites is finished. Vet said she could need up to 4 a year. I'm so worried that ive done something wrong for her, even though the vet said that it wasnt my fault and just something some bunnies have and it will be ongoing treatment. This in itself is something i'm worried about, not from a money aspect, but how safe is a GA (nevermind repeat GA) for a bunny - it's not great for humans!! Also, what do i feed her now until her teeth are done, she's off her food a little bit and i'm scared she's gonna lose weight and then be too ill for a GA. Oh god, im worried.

Ps. Diet at moment: Hay,SS & green veg.

PPs. Some good news, Rory doesnt have mites at all and his teeth are fine for now but vets going to check again 6 months.

Last edited:
Back