• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits and Possums

Funfun

Young Bun
Hello

2 possums came in our backyard this weekend. I'm sure they come every night. One of them seemed to be interested in my bunny Easter. My partner said that the possum was 50 cm from the cage and that they were looking at each other. I don't mind possums and Easter is pretty "safe" in her bunny house but I was wondering if I should be concerned from a "health" point of view. Could Easter catch anything from the possums?

Well we dont tend to see Possums here in London !!!
I would *think* that Possums may carry fleas and fleas are vectors for both Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (dont know if VHD occurs in Australia :?)
I know that you dont have a Myxomatosis Vaccine out there so I would definately treat your Rabbits for fleas and also cover their hutch/runs with mosquitto netting to try to minimise the risk of biting insects transmitting disease.

I dont know if Possums themself carry any particular diseases that could effect Rabbits :? Try PMing AussieBun, she may know :)

Thanks I'll PM her.

Had some trouble to find an Ozzie rabbit forum ;) as in Oz they tend more to destroy them then to keep them as a pet

Hi Funfun,

Got your PM but thought I'd post here in case anyone else may need the info.

Possums are generally quite harmless, the only diseases your buns could catch are myxo and VHD (Calicivirus) as wild possums would more than likely pass through areas where wild rabbits live and bring particularly VHD into your garden.

This is why it's SO important to get outdoor buns vaccinated and keep them up to date every year. All buns, including housebuns should always be vaccinated but it's absolutely critical for outdoor buns - especially given the high mosquito rate we have here!

Possums will eat baby birds eggs so I would bring any baby buns inside (doesn't sound like that's an issue though) but I doubt they'd get past a mumma bun anyway :) they're really quite timid animals and would much rather flee than fight.

Hope that answers your question! :)

Thanks Aussie Bun. So I will need to get her vaccinated for myxo and VHD (Calicivirus). Thought that it didn't exist for myxo.

Hi there, we can only vaccinate for VHD (Calicivirus) here in Oz. Stupid really, why allow one but not the other?? Crazy.

I've just heard about some herbal drops you can apparently get here for Myxo, I'm looking into it - not a vaccine but it could be better than nothing.

One of my buns was just vaccinated last Saturday, it only cost $40. A small price to pay when you think of the piece of mind :)

Good to know. I'll give a quick call to our local vet.

I'm guessing that because they implamented Myxo on purpose in OZ they probably do not want to stop it. Very silly what about all the pet bunnies :cry:

Back