• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age of Rabbit...

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
... This isn't really important anymore but since i have had so much trouble with Fidget being underweight (she's gone from 1.09kg to 1.4kg in about 6 weeks though so getting better :D) i was wondering about her age when i got her. I got her from a hobby breeder. Before anyone yells at me it was before i found this forum and i tell you, i rely on it so much now and have had some wonderful advice and would not go back to another breeder. Anyway when i got to her house she told me she wasn't quite 8 weeks yet and they were going on holiday so needed to find homes for them quick :evil:. I probably shouldn't have taken her upon finding this information but i didn't know any better. I picked her up on a saturday and she told me she would be 8 weeks midweek the next week. Anyway, i remember posting pics of her on here when i first got her and someone said that they thought she looked a lot younger than 8 weeks. Now if this was the case that would explain why i have struggled with her weight so much and why she appeared undernourished despite having the correct diet, and eating so much. I posted some baby piccies of her earler this week. This is the thread.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174017

I'm not sure how old she is in the basket pics but in the pics of her with me she is supposed to be 8 weeks or just under.... I was wondering on opinions on this... whether you think she does actually look 8 weeks or if she is younger and if you think that may have contributed to her weight probs.

I really don't know I'm afraid, although she definitely does look dinky!

But OMG the basket of bunny pics on your other thread :love::love::love: Fidget is one gorgeous bunny!!!

Sorry, I'm no help am I? :lol:

Comparing her to my dwarf lop at 8 weeks, she looks much smaller than 8 weeks.

This is her at about 8-9 weeks next to my .9 kg nethie:

IMG_0295.jpg

Do you know how much she weighed then or how much she weighs now?

I've heard that if a rabbit is weaned too early from their mother, they can have a lot of health problems resulting. We know for sure she was weaned before 8 weeks (which is the cutoff), but I don't know if the problems get worse the earlier they are taken away.

By my guessing, she looks about 4-6 weeks in that basket. What breed is she?

What cute photos. :love::love:

I haven't got any photos of me holding Alfie but, from memory, I think he was around the same size as Fidget at 8 1/2 weeks and he's a chunky adult now. We didn't get Bubbles until she was a few mths old but she is much smaller, even though they are exactly the same age and breed.

but whether it's 8 wk. or 4 wk., it doesn't make a big difference, really.

No, it doesn't make much of a difference now, but i was curious as it would explain the problems i have been having with her weight, although she is on form now but i hoped it may account for it and it wasn't an underlying health problem.

Comparing her to my dwarf lop at 8 weeks, she looks much smaller than 8 weeks.

This is her at about 8-9 weeks next to my .9 kg nethie:

IMG_0295.jpg

Do you know how much she weighed then or how much she weighs now?

I've heard that if a rabbit is weaned too early from their mother, they can have a lot of health problems resulting. We know for sure she was weaned before 8 weeks (which is the cutoff), but I don't know if the problems get worse the earlier they are taken away.

By my guessing, she looks about 4-6 weeks in that basket. What breed is she?

She is a netherland dwarf cross, my best guess is she is crossed with a lionhead as she has the same sort of face and still relatively small, though not as small as a nethie. I'm not sure how much she weighed as a baby but at 6 months she weighed 1.09kg which was far too light for her size. She is 1.4kg now at 7.5 months.

Oh and your bunnies :love:

Back