• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed!

elaine35uk

Warren Scout
So we get a pleasant day , the new run is in the garden :D.....how do I get them out to it without stressing them? Thought tempting them with treats into the carrier would do it...not too bad getting them outside. They then spent four hours in the covered part...popped their heads out for 5 minutes and that was it :shock::shock::shock:

I then spent an hour trying to get them back inside :roll: suceeded in getting scratched to bits, upsetting the girls and wondering what I can do differently.

The venture seems to have unsettled the girls (since getting them in November we've let them come to us as they are ready and other than the vets trips haven't picked them up) and as they were both strays we don't know the history, Tilly is skittish at the best of times, Smudge a little braver.

Any tips or advice will be gratefully received all I want is happy buns :)

i had or should i say a bun that it skittish(we got ours in nov too) and all i do is gentle talking and holding her when i can, she doesnt like being picked up but i do have probs trying to get her in the run, shes ok if i let he go in herself but when i move it across the garden for more grass i have probs getting her out of her cage, she even shoves my hand away that eventually i just have to gently grab her. She doesnt like it. So im not really any good at advice am i :lol: seeing as im having the same problem, :roll:

Aw bless them. All I can suggest is they'll soon get used to the routine so if you always use the carrier they should learn after a few times that they are getting taken to their run and nothing scary is going to happen. The same with the run, they'll soon get braver.

Mine free range in the garden and to catch them at bed time I section the garden off with a run and chase/walk them in to it. Once in I make the space a little smaller so they are easier to grab (I talk to them while I am doing it) once I have them they have a little stroke while held to my chest then they go in.

If you grab them/handle them with confidence this does help, you will notice at the vets they always seem calmer because vets tend to hold/handle them confidently.

When I first got 3 of my buns I trained them to step into the carriers simple by putting the carrier in front of them and saying in your box, they didnt always do it immediately but they did do it (all 3 hated being picked up) then stangely after 18 months or so they decided that going in the box was not a good idea and they would prefer to be chased :lol: one of the buns stopped the box thing and the other 2 copied :roll: So now I use the portable run (2 panels hinged together x2)

Rabswood

Thanks Guys! The confidence thing is the biggie...I hate knowing I'm stressing them :( but will keep trying. Our first bun was big enough to free range and would come in for me if I shook her treats tub :p but 2 smaller buns is a bit more difficult. I shall have to get tough with them :lol::lol:

Back