• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help!...is it just spring or more serious???

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Alexander and Cinders are giving me problems.

Alexander won't stop humping Cinders,hes neutered shes not ,she has a bald patch where he's pulled out fur and its quite raw looking,shes also getting quite annoyed by it.

Is this just springtime behaviour or do I have a problem on my hands?

My other pairs aren't behaving like this :?

just to add Alexander has been neutered since he was about 4 months old so I can't imagine its hormones affecting him.

Firstly he will be able to tell the Cinders is coming into 'season', not that rabbits have seasons as such but that she would be more receptive to his advances because it is peak breeding time, and this will be exacerbated because she hasn't been neutered and will smell 'ready'.

Also, even neutered rabbits will respond hormonally to changes in season as they react to the rising temperature and lenghtening of daylight hours which tell them it's time to start reproducing.

Firstly he will be able to tell the Cinders is coming into 'season', not that rabbits have seasons as such but that she would be more receptive to his advances because it is peak breeding time, and this will be exacerbated because she hasn't been neutered and will smell 'ready'.

Also, even neutered rabbits will respond hormonally to changes in season as they react to the rising temperature and lenghtening of daylight hours which tell them it's time to start reproducing.

So am I ok to leave them together or are they likely to fight?....at the moment Ive put her in the hutch and hes still out in the run just so she can get some peace.

I will add that I'm going to the vets tomorrow and it was my intention to get her booked in for her spay(been waiting for payday!)

Argh!! I can't believe I didn't think sooner...I've had trouble with Dude constantly bonking Poppy after they'd been separated when she went in for an op. I presumed it was because they'd been separated - it never occurred to me that it may be due to the time of year! :roll::oops:

So am I ok to leave them together or are they likely to fight?....at the moment Ive put her in the hutch and hes still out in the run just so she can get some peace.

It depends I guess on the temperaments of your bunnies. Poppy is so timid/laid back that she's not yet *touches wood* turned on Dude because of the humping, but that has been my major concern.

Hope yours settle down soon :)

Back