• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc doing weird tongue movement...

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
Bisc keeps doing a weird thing with his tongue - it's like he is wrapping his tongue round his bottom teeth? i can't really describe it. he like curls his tongue round and makes a weird noise, and looks like he is choking, even though he isn't.

you know if you get a hair in your mouth and you try and get it out and it makes you heave and do a weird thing with your tongue?? it's like that! that sounds well weird but can't think of how to describe it!

and then he looks like he is chewing his tongue.

i thought he just maybe swallowed too much hair but he has just done it again, the third time now in the last few hours.

i have looked in his mouth and can't see anything. he was at the vets a few days ago and eveything was fine in his mouth.

he's drinking from his bowl and his tongue is forward when he drinks so he can move it and he's eating normally and has no problems with that. he isn't dribbling or acting any different or anything.

i'm really confused!

the noise is the same one they make when they eat caecotrophs! he has done the weird mouth tongue thing when he has eaten some before but he wasn't eating any this time!

he does it after he has a drink aswell. that kind of thing, like they way they would eat something messy, the way they lick after medicine, it's like that. but he's doing it when he hasn't got anything in his mouth.

looks like it could be his teeth. his eye on the side he is doing weird tongue movement, is watery and a bit red.

he just jumped up from sleeping and started thumping.

do you think something is hurting him? i have metacam here, should i give him some of that?

if he's eating and drinking and toiletting normally, can the vets wait until tomorrow? i can see the rabbit vet tomorrow, but the only vets i can get to now or tonight, my emergency one, is absolutely useless, and i don't trust them at all. and with them being on penicillin etc i don't want any stupid vets mixing things and damaging them. honestly, if i could take him to the rabbit vet now i would, but the other vets is useless, i think they would do more harm than good.

bisc has eaten his veg now, he's acting ok, i just would rather give him something if i can.

:cry::cry::cry:

Sounds as though it is teeth :( I would give him some metacam and get him to the vet tomorrow to see if he needs a dental :( Poor wee man :(

looks like it could be his teeth. his eye on the side he is doing weird tongue movement, is watery and a bit red.

he just jumped up from sleeping and started thumping.

do you think something is hurting him? i have metacam here, should i give him some of that?

if he's eating and drinking and toiletting normally, can the vets wait until tomorrow? i can see the rabbit vet tomorrow, but the only vets i can get to now or tonight, my emergency one, is absolutely useless, and i don't trust them at all. and with them being on penicillin etc i don't want any stupid vets mixing things and damaging them. honestly, if i could take him to the rabbit vet now i would, but the other vets is useless, i think they would do more harm than good.

bisc has eaten his veg now, he's acting ok, i just would rather give him something if i can.

:cry::cry::cry:

It does sound like the sort of thing some buns to when their mouths hurt, but you said he's just had his teeth checked?
It would probably be wrong to tell you to give the metacam, without a vet seeing him, so I won't, but I would be tempted to if he was mine.

i can't believe he was at the vets the other day and everything was fine. just shows how fast things can happen.

it's been one thing after another lately. :cry:

i will give him some metacam and take him first thing tomorrow. it's going to be a long night again. why do things always happen on a sunday. :cry:

It does sound like the sort of thing some buns to when their mouths hurt, but you said he's just had his teeth checked?
It would probably be wrong to tell you to give the metacam, without a vet seeing him, so I won't, but I would be tempted to if he was mine.

he's not long been off metacam anyway and he would still be on it now if the vet and i hadn't decided to take him off it to see how they go. the vet has said he can go back on it again anytime if he needs to. i know it's for something else but if he is allowed on it then it can't do any harm.

i really wish it was a week day. but it isn't so guess i will just have to deal with it.

i might get ready early and just take him to the vets for when they open and wait and say the emergency vet said to come straight down.

they had their myxi jabs on tuesday and were checked over then, but that was at the local vets so could have missed something being wrong i guess.

It's possible the vet missed something if it was just a quick glance.
Keep a very close eye tonight re eating/drinking/pooing weeing etc.

i'm going to give him some metacam and keep an eye on him. if he gets any worse though i don't have a choice but to take him to the emergency vets, but that terrifies me because they won't have a clue about penicillin etc, they didn't even know about baytril and they picked them up by the scruff and didn't support the spine and back. they're really useless. he kept referring to a handbook he had.

Poor Bisc, when I saw the title, I thought teeth straight away. Emmy Lou was doing a similar thing with her tongue when she arrived here 2 weeks ago. She has now had a dental and is doing great :)

Poor Bisc, when I saw the title, I thought teeth straight away. Emmy Lou was doing a similar thing with her tongue when she arrived here 2 weeks ago. She has now had a dental and is doing great :)

was she still eating ok and being normal except for the weird tongue thing?

bisc is ok. just given him metacam and he had carrot and a few pellets as a reward and came running over for them and had no trouble eating them!

i'm going to keep a really close eye on him and take him to the rabbit vet first thing.

matt had slight spurs that he had to have done, but bisc has never had any problems with his teeth before, but i guess he could have now.

my poor baby. :(

i think he should be ok tonight, he's acting normal. but i can't wait to get to the vets tomorrow.

nobody else would notice but like i'm looking at him now and he looks different. only slightly, but his cheeks aren't right, especially the right side. you can just see things with your own bun can't you. you just know when they're not right. sometimes you can see something wrong, but sometimes you just have a feeling aswell.

i think my paranoia has done me some good when it's come to the buns. least it's good for something hey.

it's going to be another long night then. roll on tomorrow and the vets.

i don't want to go on, i know people have bad things happen all the time, but it's just one thing after another with me and i just can't handle things sometimes. :cry::cry::cry:

i'll have another good cry and then just get on with it. :cry::cry::cry:

i know this is going to seem pathetic to alot of people but i'm really worried about tomorrow because i will be taking matt with bisc to the vets but there is no-one to look after chesney. i have never left bisc or matt or ches before on their own.

my bf is away though and my brother who comes round to watch them will be in school, and there isn't anyone else to watch him for me.

i could take him with me but i struggle with just the buns carrier and plus it's a 40 minute journey to get there, then i'm usually there for over half an hour and then it's 40 mins back. so either i take them all for that long or ches will be alone at home all that time.

i know it's paranoid but i always think something will happen if i'm not there. i can't help it. :cry:

Lea they will be fine.
Dont worry, leave Chesney with some hay and a blanket and am sure he will cope :D

Hope Bisc is Ok :)

Lea they will be fine.
Dont worry, leave Chesney with some hay and a blanket and am sure he will cope :D

Hope Bisc is Ok :)

you've just said exactly what my bf just said! he said ches will be asleep and won't even notice you've gone because he will be under his hay and blanket.

i don't think i've got a choice then. i'll still stress though!

i just went to bring the washing in and buns 'help' me! bisc was munching grass and hopping round, and he's had a sleep and sat eating hay. he's acting completely normal and isn't bothered and i'm a nervous wreck!

but i'm glad he's acting normal. :)

i'll be interested to see what is going on though because his eye and face are fine now. i think it's something to do with his tongue. i think he could have maybe been bitten? or perhaps just cut his tongue on something like the run panels or the fence or shed outside. will find out tomorrow.

My boy skye done this one night (was a sunday night) and i thought instantly it was his teeth, he was licking and doing a weird thing with his tounge and i was really worried.
He was fine in the morning but i still took him to the vet, his teeth were fine and nothing else could be found so both me and the vet thought maybe a bit of hay got stuck in his gum or something :roll:
He was eating hay before the tounge thing!

Hope your baby will be fine :( its always more worrying when things happen at night :(
Sending vibes xx

Oh and your other bun will be fine on his own for a little bit, just give him a pile of hay and a little veg and im sure he will enjoy the peice for a while :D

My boy skye done this one night (was a sunday night) and i thought instantly it was his teeth, he was licking and doing a weird thing with his tounge and i was really worried.
He was fine in the morning but i still took him to the vet, his teeth were fine and nothing else could be found so both me and the vet thought maybe a bit of hay got stuck in his gum or something :roll:
He was eating hay before the tounge thing!

Hope your baby will be fine :( its always more worrying when things happen at night :(
Sending vibes xx

Oh and your other bun will be fine on his own for a little bit, just give him a pile of hay and a little veg and im sure he will enjoy the peice for a while :D

ches is my piggie who's staying alone. and i can't possible imagine why he would want peace and quiet from me....:roll::roll::roll:

i'm sure he will be ok, i just panic.

i thought about the hay before because the last few nights i have pulled it out the sack and bits have stuck in my hand and it hurt. and when i hoover and have to unblock the hoover i sometimes get sharp bits of hay attacking me!

it could be that bisc has a little sharp bit stuck in his gum or tongue maybe. i checked the hay through and didn't find any sharp bits but with them being so small i could have missed a little bit.

it's good hay, but i guess all hay can be sharp sometimes.

he hasn't done the tongue licking since i posted and he didn't even do it oddly after having a drink so fingers crossed that he is ok. like you though, i'll still be off to the vets tomorrow otherwise i won't rest! :roll:

got an appointment at the rabbit vets at 6.50pm. it's with the other rabbit vet there who i haven't seen before, but the usual one i see is not in until tomorrow morning and i don't want to wait that long to take bisc.

so my options were the local vet, or the new rabbit vet. so the new rabbit vet it is!

bisc has been fine since i posted yesterday, hasn't done any weird mouth/tongue movements and is generally ok, but i'm going to take him anyway just to be sure.

will update later. :)

Back