• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When should I start bonding?

cazh

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have never bonded any rabbits before but i'm about to start bonding my two male rabbits (both brothers and both neutered).

I just have a slight concern becasue I am going away in a month for 5 days so will have to take the rabbits to a friend's house. If i successfully bond them within a month then do you think it will unsettle them if i take them in their new cage to my friends? Will the new environment cause them to fight or do you think they will seek comfort in each other and be ok?

If I don't manage to bond them within a month then I will separate them and send them to two separate friends to look after them. I don't want to start a bond and then worry they might fight if they are in a new house (unfortunately it isn't possible for a friend/neighbour to pop in to our house while we are away). But then again I don't want to wait a month to bond them as i've been putting off this bond for months!

ooooh decisions decisions... do you think i'm wise to start the bonding now or should I wait until I get back from holiday?

If you do a search for bonding with sgprescue as the author you will find a very good thread about bonding rabbits. When bonding any rabbits do ensure that you have totally neutral territory.

If you are bonding them do allow at least a total weekend to get them started so that they do not have to be separated if you need to go anywhere.

If you have more free time now before your holiday I would start bonding them as they will have plenty of time to settle before your holiday, if you are short of free time leave it until after the holiday.

Back