• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Nest Building

Trish

New Kit
female Rabbit 14 weeks old got her from a rescue centre 6 weeks ago is now nest building should i be concerned or not

female Rabbit 14 weeks old got her from a rescue centre 6 weeks ago is now nest building should i be concerned or not

If she's not been in contact with a male since you got her it'll be a false pregnancy. She'll be grumpy and hormonal so watch your fingers. It may help to provide plenty of nesting material so she doesn't pluck herself bald.
She'll be fine but I would book her in to be spay as soon as your vet says she's old enough, around 5-6 months usually, otherwise it will keep happening.

Rabbits go pregnant for 4 weeks, so as lilbun says unless she's been in touch with a male since you've got her there's no chance of her being pregnant now:wave: Its just a phantom, probably triggered by the fact that she's becoming sexually mature (which tends to happen when the rabbit i 10-12 weeks.) Some rabbits are more prone to having it than others.

thanks for your advice the only other male in the house is a five and half year old yorkie. she was very bad tempered on monday when we moved her to a bigger hutch. will speak to the vet tom morning

I don't think there's any use talking to a vet now.
She's too young to be spayed and a phantom pregnancy is hardly a reason for a visit. They can't do anything about it anyway.

Back