• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth and vet help please...

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Last time Bailey went for his incisors to be burred was at the beginning for the month...
the vet suggested to Nick that we think about having them out, well ive thought about it, and now they're growing back, ive decided he should have them out.

don't worry they aren't too long, and we keep on top of them, however I think in the long run it will be better for Bailey.

Now the question is, does he need to go back to the vets and then we make an appointment for surgery, or can we ring tomorrow and get him in to have them taken out without a pre appt?

Thanks x

If they have already said about this you should be able to just ring and book surgery!
You sure this is best option (obv vet has said just wondered if was another med problem or just they grow alot?) just you will have to cut all food very small if not actually blend it which in turn will mean back teeth will grow quicker and bun wont be able to grooom themself anymore either. Dont want to sound nasty ive missed reasons sorry.
It may be safer and cheaper in long run to just get them clipped each month.

Bailey has visited the vet every month since we got him last March, he has a malloclusion which causes them to grow at awkward angles.

The vet has been burring them to keep them at a good length, but i cannot keep putting him through this. The vet has suggested having them taken out before and then hes been months before needing them done again, and then now I feel that we are at a stage whereby its not fair on him. I feel he may have lost weight this week, he certainly struggles keeping weight on.

which in turn will mean back teeth will grow quicker
Can they still grow back if they've been removed completely though? :?

I'm sure you have weighed up the pros and cons. :) I don't know about this op specifically, but my vet would just let me make an appt for the op, seeing as it's already been discussed. Any checks - temp, general health etc would be performed on the morning of the op anyhow. :) The receptionist should be able to confirm though, or check with the vet. :)

Yep, ill ring tomorrow and get him in weds. I just feel so sorry for him, i always get nervous with GA as i lost a bunny last year through GA... x

I know how you feel. :( I lost my bridge bunny, Reggie, following a GA for a dental and now I have Bubbles who looks like she will need regular dental treatment too. :(

I think people over-estimate how debilitated they think a bunny will be without incisors. I can assure you, after having three incisorless bunnies, the only thing I have to do differently long term is make sure their veg is in smaller pieces, they can still eat the same diet as a rabbit with incisors in every other way. Plus, if they are one of the rabbits where the incisors are causing secondary maloclussion of the molars, it will vastly reduce the need or regularity of dentals on the back teeth.

They will need softer food for the first few days, sometimes up to a week, post-op though. :)

KarenM: Teeth can grow back if the root pulp was not detroyed thoroughly during the op, this is most common with the much smaller peg teeth, but these are also the most easily remedied.

Thanks sooz, im not worried about the after care (well i am but you know what I mean).
In the long run I know it will be better for bailey, we have hit stalemate, and its important I do what is best for him.
Thanks for the advice sooz, so would i just mush his selective etc?
He hasn't needed his back teeth doing due to his diet, however she has said previously that they don't alighn correctly however they are not causing him any problems.

hes currently snuggling alyssa whilst i sat here almost in tears. :cry:

I guess im worried about the GA, as I said. I know lilly was poorly but i just can't wipe what happened from my mind x

awwww hunny dont feel bad :( once they are out you can all look forward to a much happier and comfortable future... if my vet said teeth out i would go with his trained opinion no messing.. if you trust your vet and know your boy, having his teeth out is 100% in his best interests.

i know how scared you will be with the GA but just tell your self its possibly the last one you both will have to endure one :D

Thanks hun, guna ring them first thing... they only recommended we consider it, and left it up to me, but i need them doing for his well being x

thanks donnnnnn x

Difficult decision and am sure one you haven't taken lightly. I am sure you will do what's best for little Bailey. Keep us posted on when he goes in so we can send him (and you) loads of vibes x

KarenM: Teeth can grow back if the root pulp was not detroyed thoroughly during the op, this is most common with the much smaller peg teeth, but these are also the most easily remedied.

Thank you for the info. I learn something every day. :D:D

Bailey sounds like he will be in safe hands and it's a decision you're making for his long-term future happiness. Make sure to let us know when he's booked in for. xxx

Bailey will be okay hun, and it does sound like you are doing the best for him by doing this :)

I would do the same 100% if i was in your situation, as like sooz says it doesnt really affect them greatly except forhaving smaller veg peices etc and its less stress for him.

Let us know how he gets on :)

bighugs x

Definitely the right decision, my sisters bun casper and his front teeth out and is absolutely fine! Eats Pellets and Hay fine, just needs his veggies cut up or grated, it isn't a problem for him at all :)

Like I said wasn't trying to sound nasty obv vet knows best. Just was checking vet had discussed after problems that was all. Especially as he wont be able to clean himself not problem just means more brushing.
Our bun as I said has no incisors she has mouth disease and her teeth dont align so she needs regular denatals as they dont grind down she also cant eat hay and other foods at all due not having front teeth. (we dont know hy as others can) which in turn causes problems that was all so you know what your up against.

Back