• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying day is approaching - U/D Everything went well! :-D

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Ok i am terrified about Fidget going in for her spay on tuesday, i will admit. So lots of tips and advice to help me would be soooo much appreciated.

The vet told me to bring in her food and water bottle at 10.30am. Now i assume this means she will be held there until afternoon surgery. She eats in the evening usually but should i take all her pellets and veggies in anyway as i am guessing she is going to be in no fit state to eat when she gets home? :(

When she does come home what is the best way to keep her? I have a small indoor cage here that i don't use. I was thinking of putting a couple of blankets in there and keeping her in there in my room where its quiet. Is that ok? Also, when my friend had her bun spayed a couple of months ago she didn't eat tila round midday the next day, just so i don't panic, is this the sort of time to expect? I will be putting lots of goodies in her cage anyway so that she is tempted to eat at some point anyway.

Sorry for the ramblings. I'm so nervous i could scream - and its 2 days away. Dread to think what i'm gonna be like on Tuesday. Doesn't help that i'm also taking my friend's hamster in with suspected wet tail :( Don't think that story is going to end well :cry::cry:

Last edited:
good thread, Star is going for her pre-op appointment on Monday and I am so worried!! I will read the replies with interest ...

Bunnys should eat right up untill their operation so if she usually has pellets at night then give her those the night before as usual. Do you usually give her anything in a morning? If you do then give her this as usual to. Obviously make sure she has plenty of hay overnight and in the morning before she goes.

I have never had a female spayed, only ever had male bunnies and I know its a longer recovery than the male op. I think if they dont eat anything or produce any poos overnight then a trip to the vets wed morning would be wise, but she probably wont eat as soon as she gets home.

A small cage is ideal, as long as its big enough for her to flop out in then it should be fine. She will need plenty of rest for a few days while she recovers.

She should be given a metaclop jab while at the vets to help her gut get going again after the ga and some pain relief to take home.

My two Giants were spayed over a week ago. We took pellets and veggies with them to the vet. They came home in the evening and i kept them inside for 10 days in a pen with vet beds.

They weren't really interested in eatting until the OH came in with a big handfull of Dandelions and grass...wouldn't stop after that! :D

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for your advice. How long does it usually take for them to start eating and pooing again then? Just so i know when to start panicking? I will make sure i have some grapes to hand as she will literally chew my arm off to get grapes which is naughty as she is not supposed to have many!! She is fond of her grass and brocoli too so many things to tempt her with. I'm soooo nervous! She's only 1.4kg (not underweight just a titchy bun)!

Also, although she is an indoor bun i usually put her out in the run on nice days. Should i leave this for 10 days? What about running about my room and bed which she usually has free range of? Should i keep her in the cage the full 10 days?

Last edited:
make sure they give her a collar after the op.one of my buns killed herself years ago becasue she pulled the stiches out and all her insides came out:cry:

I thought they used stitches which healed on the inside or something so that the bun can't pull them. Thats what the vet told me anyway when Bean (male) was neutered. Truffle is going in a week today. Fingers crossed. I am just looking for a nice bed to make her comfortable after. Can't imagine that she will want to sit on straw. Would be quite uncomfortable. :roll:

make sure they give her a collar after the op.one of my buns killed herself years ago becasue she pulled the stiches out and all her insides came out:cry:

Yeah, my old bunny pulled her stitches out too, thankfully she survived but i will be asking for a collar. I have also bought her a mini dog jumper, having been inspired by Rabswood on here who did the same for her little girl after neutering to stop chewing the stitches :lol: She will hate it!

I thought they used stitches which healed on the inside or something so that the bun can't pull them. Thats what the vet told me anyway when Bean (male) was neutered. Truffle is going in a week today. Fingers crossed. I am just looking for a nice bed to make her comfortable after. Can't imagine that she will want to sit on straw. Would be quite uncomfortable. :roll:

Aww, i have a small indoor cage i am going to use with some blankets. It has a hay rack too so the hay wont get in the way.

Oh my god! It's today! I'm so scared, she has to go in in an hour!

It's going to be such an awful day. Taking my friend's hamster in too but she is so weak and poorly so think she may have to be pts :cry: I've also got to take my dogs in for their boosters and kennel cough in the afternoon and max is just so terrified of the vets and is so awful when we take her its traumatic for all concerned. She also has a serious skin problem which we need diagnosing and i'm worried!

God i want today to be over so badly and its only just started :cry::cry:

Well she didn't go in. We arrived there entered a tiny waiting room full of crying dogs. Fidget was getting so stressed. Our appointment was at 10.30 and we still hadn't been seen until 11! I didn't feel comfortable and didn't trust them. The vet nurses didn't seem to care what they were doing so we left. We went to a different vets and while in there saw loads of rabbit posters, a certificate in small animal practice and very friendly staff. Fidget is booked in there for tomorrow and they saw the little hamster straight away and she has been put on baytrill! I'm still nervous but soooo relived now she is going to a much better vets!

Well she didn't go in. We arrived there entered a tiny waiting room full of crying dogs. Fidget was getting so stressed. Our appointment was at 10.30 and we still hadn't been seen until 11! I didn't feel comfortable and didn't trust them. The vet nurses didn't seem to care what they were doing so we left. We went to a different vets and while in there saw loads of rabbit posters, a certificate in small animal practice and very friendly staff. Fidget is booked in there for tomorrow and they saw the little hamster straight away and she has been put on baytrill! I'm still nervous but soooo relived now she is going to a much better vets!

Well done you for acting on your 'gut feeling' !!
Sending vibes for Fidget tomorrow :)

Fair enough! :)

Was the vets in Nottingham or Manchester?

I didnt think they put collars on rabbits after spey as it upsets them too much?(mine didnt come home with any anyway- though they may have had them on straight after surgery?) Also how will they be able to eat with a collar on unless you hand feed them?

Buy some cheap hand towels so they have something soft to lie on otherwise it should just be newspaper as hay or straw could stick in the stitches and infect them. I think you ned to check the wound daily?(Jack's Jane?) from what I remember - lifting them gently to avoid stretching the wound.
They will need soft bedding for up to 10days and cage rest for several days-it varies from vet to vet but certainly till wound is checked for healing. They also must not jump to avoid damaging the wound. Try to distract them from nibbling at it though washing is ok.
Personally I check on mine frequently through the night the first night.
Hay should be offered in a container to eat not as bedding. Give small amounts of green veg often to tempt the appetite. She should have had painkiller and gut stimulant before leaving the vets and you may be given metacam(painkiller) to give at home later or it may be wait and see. Do not hesitate to get your bun extra painkiller if you feel she needs it.
She won't move around much the first few hours after arriving home. Hopefully she will be weeing pooing and eating by late evening (the vet will probably want her to wee and poo before she leaves)-she will probably be thirsty but make sure she has water nearby or wet leaves as she make not feel like walking and lifting her head to the bottle.)but if shes not eating by morning I would ring the vets.

The vet should give you a leaflet with post-spey advice when you leave, if not ask :
How many days cage rest?
How many days soft bedding-when does hay/straw go back in?
When is she allowed to jump?
What pain relief has been given and how long will it last?
When would you expect her to eat and when should I call you if she doesnt?
What type of stitches/glue has she had?
Was the operation straightforwardor is there anything I need to know?

I think there are lots of threads on here with post-spey advice. Hope all goes well-Sue:wave:

Last edited:
Fair enough! :)

Was the vets in Nottingham or Manchester?

It was manchester as i'm home for the holidays at the moment. I may seem like i'm overreacting a tad but it really was bad. The reception desk was even behind a closed door, you just got called in. They didn't offer a pre-op check or anything. I should have realised. They seemed okayish for dogs but not for small animals. The vet she is going to has 4 buns booked in for GA procedures over the next couple of days so i know they are experienced and used to it and i feel much better. I almost cried in the other vets' waiting room. I knew i shouldn't leave her there.

I didnt think they put collars on rabbits after spey as it upsets them too much?(mine didnt come home with any anyway- though they may have had them on straight after surgery?) Also how will they be able to eat with a collar on unless you hand feed them?

Buy some cheap hand towels so they have something soft to lie on otherwise it should just be newspaper as hay or straw could stick in the stitches and infect them.
They will need soft bedding for up to 10days and cage rest for several days-it varies from vet to vet but certainly till wound is checked for healing. They also must not jump to avoid damaging the wound. Try to distract them from nibbling at it though washing is ok.
Hay should be offered in a container to eat not as bedding. Give small amounts of green veg often to tempt the appetite. She should have had painkiller and gut stimulant before leaving the vets and you may be given metacam(painkiller) to give at home later or it may be wait and see. Do not hesitate to get your bun extra painkiller if you feel she needs it.
She won't move around much the first few hours after arriving home. Hopefully she will be weeing pooing and eating by late evening (the vet will probably want her to wee and poo before she leaves)but if shes not doing so by morning I would ring the vets.
The vet should give you a leaflet with post-spey advice when you leave.
I think there are lots of threads on here with post-spey advice. Hope all goes well-Sue:wave:

Thanks for the info! Yeah the vet told me to bring in some of her favourite treats so they can tempt her to eat after her op (Will be grapes and brocoli then) i have her cage ready with blankets in my bedroom so will be nice and comfy and quiet for her. Fingers crossed!

Aw - all the best for her spey-I'm sure she will be fine:). Don't be afraid to ask the vets anything you want to know-or ring up after shes home- even if the vet is busy there should be a vet nurse you can speak to or maybe vet would ring you back.
You aways have all of us on here.:) I can only speak from my own experiences with the buns I have had, as I am not qualified, but many of the rescues have extensive experience of speys.-Sue:wave:

(btw - it could be that its necessary for your bun to have a collar? just that none of mine did)

Good, you never would have forgiven yourself if something bad happened. Glad you found a good vet though. Good luck.

Back