• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Monitoring weight

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
I've just invested in a set of scales to weigh the bunnies but am not really sure what I should be doing. :?

How often should I weigh them and what sort of weight change is a cause for concern?

Checking weight once a week is fine for a healthy Bun. There may be a few grammes fluctuation up or down which is normal. I always think that either a one off big and unexplained decrease in weight or three consecutive small unexplained losses might be a cause for concern.

Thanks Jane. :D

It's mainly for Bubbles as she needed a dental 8 weeks ago & I'm hoping to spot any problems before it gets too serious this time, but seeing as I have them I thought it would be an idea to keep an eye on Alfie too. :)

What sort of scales have you brought? I wanted to start keeping an eye on Strawberrys weight but cant find any scales suitable.

Thanks Jane. :D

It's mainly for Bubbles as she needed a dental 8 weeks ago & I'm hoping to spot any problems before it gets too serious this time, but seeing as I have them I thought it would be an idea to keep an eye on Alfie too. :)

Can I just say your bunnies are soo BEAUTIFUL!!!! :love::love::love::love::love:

that is all... :lol:

Can I just say your bunnies are soo BEAUTIFUL!!!! :love::love::love::love::love:

that is all... :lol:

Awww, thank you. :love::love:

Rachie, they're baby scales from ebay. :) Some go for around £20 but I just kept bidding until I won a set for £10; it took me about a week and a half. ;);) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electronic-Ba...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I'm sure some people use kitchen scales too but mine aren't digital and, with Bubbles only being a kilo to start with, they wouldn't be accurate enough. So I figured I would invest in the baby ones, rather than buying new kitchen ones that I didn't really need. :)

I brought a digital scale of Asda for the babies when i was concerned about Sammies weight. I weighed the toddlers every week and Sammie ever other day. She has now caught up and out of all of them is the most friendly.

Back