• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weaning babies

tracy08

Warren Scout
I have read that at about 8 weeks old take the babies away from mum but leave her with one for a week so her milk can settle abit. Ease her of gently. Does any one have any suggestions on this. the kits are 6 weeks old now and i feel if i leave the babies with her even in a bigger cage she will keep feeding them forever if this makes sence. when/if i do thke them away would i beable to re-bond them back together if we keep any if so what age would you suggest xxx

Above spam reported :roll:

Sorry hun I don't know much about babies I'm afraid , as we've never had them - someone will be along later I'm sure that can help. Someone that isn't a spammer :roll:

I had Aroma together with two of her babies till they were 10 weeks old. Not sure if they were nursing at the time, but she was quite good at saying no.
Even when they were only 4 weeks she would sometimes walk away when they tried to nurse to encourage them to eat more.

I've known some people to keep mother and daughter rabbits together all the time, so I think she'll stop nursing them after a while if she wants to.

I have read that at about 8 weeks old take the babies away from mum but leave her with one for a week so her milk can settle abit. Ease her of gently. Does any one have any suggestions on this. the kits are 6 weeks old now and i feel if i leave the babies with her even in a bigger cage she will keep feeding them forever if this makes sence. when/if i do thke them away would i beable to re-bond them back together if we keep any if so what age would you suggest xxx

Hi, I have a little experience of babies. I was told to get the babies 'sexed' at around 8 weeks and then to seperate the boys into another cage (the girls can stay with the mum). However my mum turned on her litter when they were about 6 wks old so have been seperate since then.

My mum (when she was with the babies) did get good at saying no towards feeding the babies in the end. Are the babies eating solids? and drinking from the bottle? if so, I wouldn't worry too much as it sounds like they are doing okay.

As for re-bonding ... watch this space! I was told not to bond babies with adults but I do hope that my mum & dad bun will bond with my 2 remaining baby buns at some point in the future. They are living as pairs at the moment and I am slowing getting them all 'sorted' out first and giving the babies a chance to get bigger and grow before attemping the bond. (I am hoping to do this maybe Aug/Sept time - so my 'babies' will be 9 months then and so all be 'sorted out' and had a good time to recover etc)

As for re-bonding ... watch this space! I was told not to bond babies with adults but I do hope that my mum & dad bun will bond with my 2 remaining baby buns at some point in the future. They are living as pairs at the moment and I am slowing getting them all 'sorted' out first and giving the babies a chance to get bigger and grow before attemping the bond. (I am hoping to do this maybe Aug/Sept time - so my 'babies' will be 9 months then and so all be 'sorted out' and had a good time to recover etc)

There is no reason why babies cannot either remain with adult rabbits or be bonded with them. I frequently bond youngsters with adult buns.

Thanks im going to get them sexed hopefully next week, we have treid and im convinced they are girls from the sexing post in RF. But then again what do i know, i ended up with babies :roll: :lol:

Will have to play it by ear. They are eating solids everything i give mum and drinking from the bottle, so all is well that end.

They do look lovely when mum and kits are cuddled up together and i havnt seen them trying to feed from her, but hten again do they if they do, just do it early hours etc.

There is no reason why babies cannot either remain with adult rabbits or be bonded with them. I frequently bond youngsters with adult buns.

really? well that means I can hopefully bond them sooner rather than later then! I would like to get them all 'sorted out' before bonding them.
Thanks!

Back