• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny spay wound help!

Hart

Young Bun
So my Coco bunny was spayed thursday, i've already had her taken back today to get her spay wound resealed. She's got stitches on the inside and is glued on the out.

Now the little so and so has opened herself again!! It's open about 1cm or so. The stitches are still holding and i can see them on the inside. Her wound is clean and there's no oozing.

What do I do though?? Do I rush her back? The vets are closed now, but open tomorrow.

How do I stop her fussing at herself?? She's had her painkillers today. I've tried wrapping a bandage round her but couldn't get it round the right area.

Will the wound be fine without having to be reglued? Or do i really need to get her sealed back up?

Ooh, how worrying :? I think you should ring the vet (even if they are closed they should have an emergency number) and ask them :? It may still be sealed but she could make it worse overnight and it may get infected if its left partially open?

Maybe they ought to put one of those little cones/lampshades around her for a few days until the wound starts to heal a bit!

No she hasn't been given a collar unfortunately.

I also haven't seen her eat or drink hardly at all today. Just tried hand feeding her broccoli only to get it promptly nudged away.

I'm guessing i'm going to have to resort to syringe feeding her?

Personally I would get her Veterinary attention tonight if at all possible. She may be worrying at the wound because she is in pain. Pain can also lead to GI stasis. It is of considerable concern that she is refusing food.
If she were my Rabbit I would want her to have pain relief tonight at the very least. She may also require a gut motility stimulant.

Hi I have used a baby grow to stop Willow getting at his belly stitches.I'm so sorry I dont know how to do a link to my thread but If you look under my name and look at all my threads you will find it.PS Willow is on pain relief,Metacam,which has made him so much more comfortable and stopped him nibbling his stitches

Thank you for your advice! I will give the emergency vets a ring now.
Unfortunately the emergency fee is £75+! Ouch! But I don't want her to be in any pain :( I just wish she'd settle down like her sister.

Hi I have used a baby grow to stop Willow getting at his belly stitches.I'm so sorry I dont know how to do a link to my thread but If you look under my name and look at all my threads you will find it.PS Willow is on pain relief,Metacam,which has made him so much more comfortable and stopped him nibbling his stitches

I read about you using a baby grow earlier actually! :) It's a good idea.
Anything undignified though and Coco will hate me for days! She's such a proud bunny.

My girls are both on Metacam too. Helps Missy, but Coco is still fussing.

yes, ask the vet also for a collar, that you take off when she eats and drink, and put the hay in a way that she can reach it with her collar...hope she gets OK soon..

I can't get ahold of my usual vets at all! I've tried and tried and no answer.

Does anyone know of any rabbit savvy vets in the Portsmouth area i can go to this time of night? My usual is companion care in burrfields, but they wont pick up! :(

I read about you using a baby grow earlier actually! :) It's a good idea.
Anything undignified though and Coco will hate me for days! She's such a proud bunny.

My girls are both on Metacam too. Helps Missy, but Coco is still fussing.

Dont worry she wont hate you for long.I put a collar on Willow for one night and It really did his head in.Bunnies need to feed 24/7.Good luck

Managed to get Coco drinking and eating a tinsy bit of hay after feeding her some honey in water. She's a bit perkier now.
Still can't get a hold of any vets though.

Doing what I can to keep her clean, warm and comfy.

Coco is doing okay! I wrapped one of this self stick bandages round her last night out of desperation, got her into the vets this morning and typical! The wound had healed itself together!

Well she now has a collar on her to stop her fussing at it, and she's not happy at all.

Any tips to making it easier on her to drink and eat? She still turns away when i try hand feeding her, but she nibbled some hay when i left her.
She wont use her water bottle though, and i think she's finding it hard to get to her bowl.

Is there any way you can raise the dish so she doesnt have to bend so low. I had to do it for my cat who has to wear one every so often (he has an allergy to something outside) and we found its the only way that he can eat. Do you hold her water bottle in front of her so she can drink. This worked for Biscuit when we first got him as angel wouldnt let him near it.

you don't need the cone.

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

I had to cut a good 3" off Willows collar and he still had trouble eating,sorry I hate them.Can you get a baby grow from Tescos tomorrow?has you vet prescribed metacam as she must be quite uncomfortable and the pain killer will stop her nibbling her stitches

I think i'm going to do a similar way i used last night. Wrap a bandage round her tummy. The wound sealed itself and she couldnt touch it.

She really hates the cone so i'm not going to use it anymore. It's heartbreaking watching her trying to groom herself or trying to itch her ear.

I still have Metacam, was only supposed to use it for 3 days but should I continue on with it tomorrow? For how many more days can I use it?

3 days after the day of surgery is good enough

We have a thread of some member putting a baby suit on a bunny. You can put a bandage on, and put that baby suit on the bun.

My method works the same way, essentially.

Back