• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Bullying?

Hi,

I've just got two young female rabbits from the same litter (approx 12 weeks old). One (Best) is a lot more outgoing and is very comfortable being handled and seems to be eating OK. The other one (Busby) is not very comfortable being handled and I've not seen her eating much from the food bowls. I'm trying to combat both problems by feeding her treats (carrot, rabbit treats) when I handle her: at least then I can be sure she's eating and getting used to me at the same time.

However, today I noticed that Best is nudging Busby out of the way when she tries to eat, even though they've both got the same thing! The rest of the time they seem very friendly towards each other and snuggle up together. There's no real aggression or any fighting going on.

As I've only had them for a few days I think that Busby might be a bit stressed from the move so I'm not sure whether this might be contributing to the problem.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful to hear them!

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, I've got them a bowl each and have got one in the main area of the hutch and another in the bedroom (where Busby, the quiet one tends to go when I attempt to handle her or Best nudges her). Both bowls were in the main area but I decided to try having one in the bedroom because it seems to be a 'safe' place for Busby where she feels comfortable.

Thanks.

Thank you for your advice keepingmesane. Don't know what happened but there's been an overnight transformation! Busby has started to stand her ground and I have witnessed both bunnies eating happily together. Also for the first time both food bowls were empty on Sunday morning and they were empty again this morning. I'm very relieved, think the stress of the move must have had something to do with Busby's shyness.

Phew!

Thanks again!

Back