• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many dentals is to many?

willowflower27

Mama Doe
I rescued a rabbit from a breeder and he's the sweetest thing but he has horrendous teeth i always thought i would continue on with dental treatment but now i'm not so sure the last dental he had took a lot out of him i spent a whole week syringe feeding him and nursing him now i don't object to this at all but is it fair on him he gets 5 weeks in between dentals is that long enough?
just wondering how many dentals is to many?

We have some buns that need doing around every 6 to 8 weeks or so but they don't take that long to recover. We use quite low dose of injectable anaesthetic for dentals and they recover quickly. If he's taking a long time to recover and start eating by himself I would question why. Is he receiving adequate pain relief? Are there wounds in his mouth that need antibiotics? Could they manage with a lighter sedation etc.etc.

I agree with Lilbun and would also suggest a full blood profile to see what his kidney and liver function are like.

I would suggest finding a vet who does conscious dentals..he won't need any recovery period and will be kinder on your pocket too:D

Which area are you in as people may be able to suggest vets?

he gets the lowest sedation possible i draw it up myself and i monitor his anaesthetic he comes round quick from the anaesthetic and i always get my vet to give him metacam and baytril and he gets a week long course to follow up with at home and metacam also i will ask for a blood to be done though as i rescued 2 rabbits from this breeder and one died under GA for his teeth and we questioned emeria in his liver

i've wormed Jamesey to be safe he suffers snuffles aswell which means he's a housebun and can't be placed with my other 2 rabbits he seems to be quite a stressy bun aswell could this slow down his recovery time?

he gets the lowest sedation possible i draw it up myself and i monitor his anaesthetic he comes round quick from the anaesthetic and i always get my vet to give him metacam and baytril and he gets a week long course to follow up with at home and metacam also i will ask for a blood to be done though as i rescued 2 rabbits from this breeder and one died under GA for his teeth and we questioned emeria in his liver

i've wormed Jamesey to be safe he suffers snuffles aswell which means he's a housebun and can't be placed with my other 2 rabbits he seems to be quite a stressy bun aswell could this slow down his recovery time?

Stress will certainly slow his desire to eat and hence recovery time.
As regards his snuffles it will help if you pre and post oxygenate him if you don't already. You could also take a swab of any discharge for C&S to help clear up this problem

thanks willd certainly do yeah he gets oxygen before and after sedation he goes through the dental no problem it is the week after he just gives up really he's lethargic and isn't interested in anything once we get through that week though he goes back to being his cheeky self

thanks willd certainly do yeah he gets oxygen before and after sedation he goes through the dental no problem it is the week after he just gives up really he's lethargic and isn't interested in anything once we get through that week though he goes back to being his cheeky self

What anaesthetic combination do you use?

But would you not consider a vet who is used to doing them to save him the bad recovery time?
May be worth it..which area are you in?

edinburgh area it would be great if a could get conscious dentals done but he freaks out even if i'm holding him but willing to give anything a go he's sucha sweety pie hate the breeder for all the problems he's caused him

Back