• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cancelling a contract/help please :o( UPDATE p4

Hugbut

Mama Doe
Yesterday i ordered a new sofa from DFS & signed a credit agreement.This morning my husband was told he's being made redundant, he is the main earner so we can no longer afford the sofa. I rang DFS to ask if i could cancel the order but they said it had already been sent to the supplier (the order) so it couldn't be cancelled.Does anybody know if i have any right to cancel it? I thought there is usually a 'cooling off' period with these sorts of thigs incase you change your mind. Someone is supposed to be phoning me back to see if they can 'sort something out' but I'm so worried, any advice would be appreciated :cry:

Thank you :wave:

Last edited:
Sorry my head's all over the place, posted in the wrong section :roll: Could a mod move it please? Thanks :)

You may find this useful. You should put it in writing and take it down to the shop, explianing your reasons.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/buying_at_home/returning-cancelling/

This does however say "But please note that you might lose your right to cancel once the service has started".

It is worth a try. Escalate it if you have to.

So sorry to hear your hubby lost his job. It is difficult times.

Thanks for the info, dfs say their sofa's are made to order, hence why they can't cancel it...do you know if being made to order would make any difference?

no, you can't cancel it if you signed the contract....

I had a nightmare time with DFS after I tried to cancel a sofa I ordered with them... I went to trading standards and everything. In effect you have 30 days cooling off period to cancel your credit agreement, but not the sofa, so you would still have to pay.

We had countless arguments with management, as even though my sofa hadn't actually been made they STILL wouldn't cancel the order. They told me that they would still make the sofa and put it on the showroom floor to sell, but that I would have to pay about £260 for one reason or another. It doesn't make sense, why would they continue to make a sofa that they don't need rather than cancel the order.... they also told me that my only other option was to choose another sofa to the same value :roll: So, if that's the case then surely I should have been able to just cancel my order!!! Nope!

DFS are :censored:

no, you can't cancel it if you signed the contract....

I had a nightmare time with DFS after I tried to cancel a sofa I ordered with them... I went to trading standards and everything. In effect you have 30 days cooling off period to cancel your credit agreement, but not the sofa, so you would still have to pay.

We had countless arguments with management, as even though my sofa hadn't actually been made they STILL wouldn't cancel the order. They told me that they would still make the sofa and put it on the showroom floor to sell, but that I would have to pay about £260 for one reason or another. It doesn't make sense, why would they continue to make a sofa that they don't need rather than cancel the order.... they also told me that my only other option was to choose another sofa to the same value :roll: So, if that's the case then surely I should have been able to just cancel my order!!! Nope!

DFS are :censored:

:cry: I thought as i only signed yesterday i might get away with cancelling, but the woman on the phone said it's already been processed so they won't be abpe to stop it.How convenient.

Nobody told me there wouldn't be any oppourtunity to cancel & i didn't ask because i didn't think we'd need to cancel :( This is a nightmare :(

Do you get a 30 day money back guarantee with it? Most products come with a money back guarantee. If so, once they have delivered it, say you don't like it and they can take it back.

Do you get a 30 day money back guarantee with it? Most products come with a money back guarantee. If so, once they have delivered it, say you don't like it and they can take it back.

I'm not sure :? Like i said, they make them to order so I don't think they'd let me send it back if it was just a case of not liking it :( The most frustating thing is, we don't really need a new sofa, the one we've got isn't great but it's ok :( I'm such an idiot :(

I'm not sure :? Like i said, they make them to order so I don't think they'd let me send it back if it was just a case of not liking it :( The most frustating thing is, we don't really need a new sofa, the one we've got isn't great but it's ok :( I'm such an idiot :(

You're not an idiot! There must be a way to get out of it. I hope they can sort something out for you :(

My Fiance asked me to ask you if the contract is a finance lease (i.e. is it monthly payments with credit given from the company with it secured on the sofa or were you planning to pay for it out right?)

You should ring and ask to speak to the manager and hope that they have an ounce of decency and can help you in your situation. Offer to show them the letter of redundancy for proof that you have not just changed your mind.

If you get no luck there as for the head office/complaints department and also get in touch with citizens advice or trading standards, newspapers even. It is outrageous when people have a genuine reason for cancelling.

It's worth a try, even if you had to pay e.g. £50 cancellation for the admin costs.

im so surprised there isnt a 7 day period when you can cancel :shock::shock: i thought all credit agreements have this to protect the consumer.... i think you should contact CAB and citizens advice about this

what happens if you refuse delivery, surely you cant be charged for something youve not actually taken possesion of... just seems very very wrong

Try talking to citizens advice bureau. Don't rely on the company that stands to benefit from your cash to give you accurate advice!!

Back