• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house rabbits and adoption

mushers

Young Bun
hi there i have just been to wood green animal shelter to apply to adopt one of their rabbits and was told something i found odd

we filled out the form stating we have one rabbit and want a friend for him and that he is a house rabbit and has a nice size cage that can be adapted or enlarged (cubes) he does get locked in his cage when were out because he is a little terror at the moment but hopefully soon he will free range the downstairs of the house and just have the cage as his space when he wants peace
we told them they would get to go into the garden to run about at the weekends and evenings under supervision as we have dogs each side and believe it or not the guy at the back keeps a falcon :( which sits in our tree ocasionaly so we keep a sharp eye on the rabbit

we were refused on the grounds we wouldnt pass a home check because when the girl insisted we had a run in the garden where the rabbits would need to be during the day while we were out at work i refused and said i wouldnt leave them out due to the two staf dogs and falcon in the next gardens
do all rescues insist on a run where the rabbits live all day and only come in at night ?
the girl at wood green offered to sell us one that was about as fox proof as a paper bag and had no shelter
do other house bun owners leave them outside while there at work ? should i be doing so ?
and will all the rescues insist i leave the rabbits outside all day ?

Last edited:
I have heard of this happening. Its due to the new laws on animal welfare stating 'freedom to express natural behaviour', meaning, being able to dig about outside and experience the weather etc.

I have heard of this happening. Its due to the new laws on animal welfare stating 'freedom to express natural behaviour', meaning, being able to dig about outside and experience the weather etc.

I agree with this comment. The rescue cannot afford to get into trouble for breaking these new rules. By not allowing your bunny access to the outside world whenever he chooses then this breaks the "freedom to choose" rule also. Whether you agree with this or not this is what the shelter has to try and ensure.

if it were a perfect world these new rules would be ace but its not :( i cant leave the rabbits out all day im not even sure if its fair to do so since splodge has always been a house rabbit
i could have just lied at the shelter i guess but i have nothing to hide but i guess they need to adhere to the law

So how would the 'Freedom from injury' and 'Freedom from fear and distress' clause be covered then if you left them outdoors with known predators about :?

I have failed someone a week ago because she wouldn't buy a run for her existing bunny. There was no discussion, the lady point blank refused. There were other issues, too but the failure to see why it was an issue made my mind up for me.

I homecheck for various rescues and will pass back my results for the rescues to decide.

I would always want to see a run for a bunny that I was rehoming. It's only fair to give the bunnies the best chance possible right from the word go.

I have failed someone a week ago because she wouldn't buy a run for her existing bunny. There was no discussion, the lady point blank refused. There were other issues, too but the failure to see why it was an issue made my mind up for me.

I homecheck for various rescues and will pass back my results for the rescues to decide.

I would always want to see a run for a bunny that I was rehoming. It's only fair to give the bunnies the best chance possible right from the word go.

never owned a run rabbits have always free ranged in the garden while were out there thats not to say i wouldnt buy one but i wouldnt leave my rabbit in it alone as sugested by the rescue

So how would the 'Freedom from injury' and 'Freedom from fear and distress' clause be covered then if you left them outdoors with known predators about :?

But you wouldn't leave them outside with predators. You would take the precautions that are necessary with secure hutches/sheds/playhouses amd sturdy runs.

Does that mean it's wrong to keep house rabbits then?!

Would it not be the same for dogs and cats? Isn't their natural behaviour to be outside?

I'm a bit confused here - from the OP I gathered they wouldn't rehome on the basis they were house rabbits, but from others get the impression you mean they should have a run when outside?

Does that mean it's wrong to keep house rabbits then?!

Would it not be the same for dogs and cats? Isn't their natural behaviour to be outside?

I'm a bit confused here - from the OP I gathered they wouldn't rehome on the basis they were house rabbits, but from others get the impression you mean they should have a run when outside?

The discussion was that house rabbits are fine, they just need access lots to the outside world whether that may be to a secure garden with no preditors or a secure run. The problem was that the shelter wanted this access to be for the majority of the day (weather permitting obviously as you can't let the poor thing freeze) but mushers wasn't happy about this happening unsupervised.

Think I have that right.

from what ive read on the new rules its access to the outside rather than 24 hour access (key to the door style) im guessing i just went to one of the rescues that insists upon 24 hour access im going to phone the rspca on monday lets hope we dont need cat flaps for our rabbits dogs birds and iguana's just yet :)

The discussion was that house rabbits are fine, they just need access lots to the outside world whether that may be to a secure garden with no preditors or a secure run. The problem was that the shelter wanted this access to be for the majority of the day (weather permitting obviously as you can't let the poor thing freeze) but mushers wasn't happy about this happening unsupervised.

Think I have that right.

spot on ! i know most rabbits live outside all there lives but the thought of leaving him out scares the pants off me :(

mushers - i'd home u a rabbit. All rescues have set proceedures. I know one rescue who wouldnt home me a rabbit because i didnt have an attached run off my hutch and on concrete which is not possible cos i have 4 dogs!! :roll:

just try a different rescue.. they all have thier own ideas on what they think is acceptable for their buns.

what a shame that people in flats will never be able to adopt a rabbit if this is a new rule :roll: i guess we still need breeders and petshops after all :?

there is no way in this world i would leave an animal outside when im not here to the mercy of bored children who get kicks from torturing animals not to mention the animals who feel a bit peckish :evil:

Oh dear - I hadn;t heard about this new rule - guess I won't be able to rehome any more bunnies then :(

Woudl hate to have to go to a pet shop if anything happened to one of my two. But I live in a second floor flat with no outdoor space.

I'd try a different rescue. Try Caroline at the Rabbit Residence, it's near wood green and she's rehomed bunnies to be house rabbits to me before. Mine are all house rabbits during the winter and only go outside in the summer or when it's a nice day.

im so dense, i cant find this rule :oops::oops::oops:

where can i read up on it?

ETA - PDSA say about rabbits in runs but they state rabbits should not be left unattended in a run..:?:?

another website says fresh grass is essential but you can grow it in a tray for house rabbits..

i cannot find anywhere that specifiacally outlines how house buns should be kept (or house chipmunks for that matter)

Last edited:
Does `freedom to express natural behaviour' mean we should let them bite, fight and breed freely also? :?
The act is well intentioned but some of the points could do with clarifying I feel

Ive never heard of this rule either. My rabbits are inside rabbits, they do get outside time but there are days its hammering it down and they dont go out. I also dont like the fact that mine are indoors buns, so there for havent grown winter coats and taking them in and out of different temps.

The only concern I could see the rescue has was that even though you keep a good watch out whilst your bun is outside, if the dogs or bird of prey decided to go in for it and get the buns you wouldnt be fast enough to stop them?

I also disagree with the leaving them outside all the time like they suggested and that bored kids or cruel people could harm them, you cant be outside all the time and seeing buns running around a garden unattended may be a oppurtinity they are waiting for :( I have 15ft wrought iron secuiry fencing and gates at either end of alley way, but i see kids still climb over :roll:

I would try another rescue as all rescues have different ways and policies :)

I would try another rescue. I cant agree with this rule, yes its nice to be able to let buns outside but it shouldnt stop rabbits going to a happy forever home because they cant provide it. Good luck with your quest :D.

Back