• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

panic blood in poo

garry1974

Young Bun
just checked my buns and have found blood in the males hutch he is about 14 weeks old. have had a look and its comming from around his bottom region.he seems really quiet aswell. is this what happens when he matures or should i rucs him to the vets?

It sounds like a prolapsed rectum.
This can occur in Baby Rabbits as a result of Intestinal Coccidiosis. Please mention this possibility to your Vet as if it is Coccidiosis it needs prompt an aggressive treatment and ALL Rabbits are at risk as it is highly contageous.

Good luck at the Vets

Is your male rabbit living by himself or is he living with another male rabbit?

It may be that your buns have now reached maturity and they have now started fighting, he needs to be checked up by the vet to find out what the cause is. It is obviously not easy to work out the cause without knowing more information and seeing the bun so we can only make assumptions.

just got back loads of medicine
he is a little dehydrated so got fluids and meds for next 5 days. his bottom was prolapsed but has gone back to normal.she did mention it could be somthing worse but trying the meds and fluid and call back thsi evening and tommorow.
didnt think to take some poo but she did ask about it and said it was darker and harder than normal and the blood was around it not in it if that make sense

Is your male rabbit living by himself or is he living with another male rabbit?

It may be that your buns have now reached maturity and they have now started fighting, he needs to be checked up by the vet to find out what the cause is. It is obviously not easy to work out the cause without knowing more information and seeing the bun so we can only make assumptions.

he is on his own currently seperated from his female friend dont want loads of bunnies

just got back loads of medicine
he is a little dehydrated so got fluids and meds for next 5 days. his bottom was prolapsed but has gone back to normal.she did mention it could be somthing worse but trying the meds and fluid and call back thsi evening and tommorow.
didnt think to take some poo but she did ask about it and said it was darker and harder than normal and the blood was around it not in it if that make sense

Did the Vet prescribe an antibiotic called 'SEPTRIN' ?

nope
we have zantac/baytril and toclopromide syrup.

Hmmmmmm, did you mention the *possibility* of Coccidiosis?
Its just that whilst Baytril is a good antibiotic it will not treat Coccidia. Whereas Septrin will. Obviously I cant say for certain that the prolapsed rectum is due to Coccidiosis, but it is a possibility especially as your Rabbit is still a baby.

I would also advise you to give the Bun a probiotic to try to establish some 'healthy' gut flora. The ones I use are either Fibreplex, Bio Lapis or Avipro

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/PROTEXINFIB15.html

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/...ore_Code=1&Product_Code=AVIPRO&Category_Code=

Did the Vet administer an anti-inflammatory pain killer eg METACAM ?

Hmmmmmm, did you mention the *possibility* of Coccidiosis?
Its just that whilst Baytril is a good antibiotic it will not treat Coccidia. Whereas Septrin will. Obviously I cant say for certain that the prolapsed rectum is due to Coccidiosis, but it is a possibility especially as your Rabbit is still a baby.

I would also advise you to give the Bun a probiotic to try to establish some 'healthy' gut flora. The ones I use are either Fibreplex, Bio Lapis or Avipro

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/PROTEXINFIB15.html

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/...ore_Code=1&Product_Code=AVIPRO&Category_Code=

Did the Vet administer an anti-inflammatory pain killer eg METACAM ?

no pain killers but we have some science recovery plan to add with water.

fluffy has been eating before we took him and she checked his stomach and said that it was blocked up etc.

he does seem alot happier and eating and drinking.

im wondering if this is my fault as we got them big water bottles and they seemed to be struggling with them i check and change the water every day and did notice he didnt seem to be drinking very much water and in the last few days ive added smaller bottles aswell and they seem to drink that alot easier. and had a play with the bigger bottles and they dont seem to be as free flowing as the smaller ones but they are the same manufacturer.

im just hoping it not anything to serious. got to call the vet at 5 with an update.

and the vet did mention that it could be another more serious thing which i believe was Coccidiosis but she said to try this as the other would mean putting on a iv drip etc and keeping there which would put rabbit under more stress. and as she checked him out and that he was eating drinking and she didnt feel anything wrong with his gut she thought it was best to try course of action first.

Last edited:
I agree with the water bowl suggestion and I'd also ask the Vet why an anti inflammatory analgesic was not given.
A prolapsed rectum hurts !!

Also, I would think they should have sent out a fecal sample just to make sure it wasn't Coccidiosis. Results from a lab should take a day at the most, so I would bring them a little container of his poo and have them check it for you. Better to know for sure so you can start treating immediately if that's the case.

I second the suggestion for a bowl. My rabbits seem to like it so much better. Just make sure the bowl is low enough that the baby can reach it, but big enough so it can hold at least half a day's water. (I change my water bowls twice a day, and it's much easier than a bottle! :))

Keep us posted.

if it was Coccidiosis would he have a prolapsed rectum again this morning.
all looked normal last night but this morning when i was getting him for his next meds noticed a small amount of blood on the floor and his rectum is sticking out again and all bloody?

if it was Coccidiosis would he have a prolapsed rectum again this morning.
all looked normal last night but this morning when i was getting him for his next meds noticed a small amount of blood on the floor and his rectum is sticking out again and all bloody?

Coccidiosis does not always cause a rectal prolapse but it is a diagnosis to consider as a possibility.

As your Rabbit did not receive any analgesia I would strongly advise you to get in touch with the Vet again today. If he has prolapsed again he will be in pain :cry:

hes going back in vets gonna put his bum back in and give us some vaseline type stuff and gonna give him some pain killers. gonna get my misses to ask about Coccidiosis and take some of his poo in.
vet worried that his rectum may get infected if its stuck out ouch.

hes going back in vets gonna put his bum back in and give us some vaseline type stuff and gonna give him some pain killers. gonna get my misses to ask about Coccidiosis and take some of his poo in.
vet worried that his rectum may get infected if its stuck out ouch.

Poor Bun :cry:
I hope the Vet can get him better.

Back