• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumpy Bunny. Any ideas?

Hart

Young Bun
Hello there. I have 2 bunnies by the name of Coco and Missy. They've only just been spayed on thursday and are recovering well.

But this morning I found a lump behind Missy's right cheek (at the bottom of her ear). It's rather hard and can be 'wiggled' in the skin. Doesn't seem to be causing her any pain though and she's quite bouncy and eating well.

I'm wondering if bunnies can get swollen glands like we can? Seeing as how she's just had surgery.

I'm terrified it's an abscess. I lost a previous bunny because of that (he died after the surgery was done).
But then i'm confused if it is, because when they were in 2 weeks ago, they had their teeth looked at (including back teeth) and all were fine.
They've had plenty of hay to eat constantly, and they're eating pellets too.

Another problem she has at the moment is a very dry sore ear. It was flaking and crusting on the surface. I've been using bunny skin cream and anti-bacterial powder. It's looking better and we put it down to Coco overgrooming her. I don't know if the lump could be related at all?

I'm very worried so any ideas on what it could be and any advice is very helpful! I love my baby girl so much, I don't want to loose her.

Did the Vet look into the Bun's ear at the time of her spay?
A chronic mite infestation can lead to the symptoms you describe.

I would not advise putting anything into the ear canal yourself until the Vet has examined it. The 'lump' may be an enlarged lymph node caused by a bacterial infection in her ear.

Alternatively the lump may be the result of a recent Myxomatosis vaccination. Part of the vaccine (10%) needs to be administered intradermally and many Vets do this part in the base of the ear.

Thank you for the response!

Couldn't be the vaccine, because that was over 4 weeks ago.

I thought maybe mites. But inside her ear is as clear as can be. She was checked on thursday and no sign of mites in the ear were found. It's just on the outside of the ear.

I managed to grab a vets appointment for today at 3. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious!

Thank you for the response!

Couldn't be the vaccine, because that was over 4 weeks ago.

I thought maybe mites. But inside her ear is as clear as can be. She was checked on thursday and no sign of mites in the ear were found. It's just on the outside of the ear.

I managed to grab a vets appointment for today at 3. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious!

If she had some of the Myxo vac in her earbase the lump could well be that even though it was done 4 weeks ago.
Good luck at the Vets :)

Alternatively the lump may be the result of a recent Myxomatosis vaccination. Part of the vaccine (10%) needs to be administered intradermally and many Vets do this part in the base of the ear.[/QUOTE]

Our had theirs this week and it all went in the same place, back of the neck, is this a problem?

I took Missy to the vets and was given Baytril to give her for a week.
Will this clear it up?

I've started worrying it might be something more sinister. It's really confusing.
It's not a dental abscess because of where it is, and there's no visible wound at all to have caused it..

I don't think it's the myxy jab because that was just in the 'scruff'. Her lump is right at the base of her ear. Kind've at the top of her jaw bone.

Doesn't seem to hurt her, but she flinched when i squeezed it a bit hard.

Please does anyone have anymore ideas as to what it is? She's still eating and drinking perfectly fine.

Our had theirs this week and it all went in the same place, back of the neck, is this a problem?

No, as long as 10% of it went intradermally. Its just easier to do the intradermal bit in the earbase where the skin is thicker.

I took Missy to the vets and was given Baytril to give her for a week.
Will this clear it up?

I've started worrying it might be something more sinister. It's really confusing.
It's not a dental abscess because of where it is, and there's no visible wound at all to have caused it..

I don't think it's the myxy jab because that was just in the 'scruff'. Her lump is right at the base of her ear. Kind've at the top of her jaw bone.

Doesn't seem to hurt her, but she flinched when i squeezed it a bit hard.

Please does anyone have anymore ideas as to what it is? She's still eating and drinking perfectly fine.

So the Vet thinks its an abscess ?

The vet wasn't too sure on what it was, I think she said it could be an abscess, or a swollen lymph node. I don't remember too well unfortuantely. She wasn't very clear.

I think I may have found the cause.

When cleaning the skin of Missy's ear where she's been all sore and flakey. I noticed some small lumps. I gave them a gentle squeeze and white pus came out. So the poor little things skin of her ear is infected.
So could this lump be a swollen lymph node then?

Also, what can I do to help clear out the pus? I don't want to go squeezing at her too much because she really doesn't like it.
I have Hibiscrub from the vets I've been using on her at the moment. Will this be enough?

Any advice on my above post please? Her ear is very sore. I have the vets on friday for another post-op check but should I take her sooner?

Like I said, she's getting baytril once a day (too stressful to give it in 2 doses), and I'm cleaning her ear with Hibiscrub.

Back