• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning re New Crop of 'Leafy Greens'

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Several of my Buns have had gassy tums over the last 48 hours. This has coincided with what I believe to be the new season of what Sainsbury's refer to as 'Leafy Greens' (as opposed to just 'Greens' or 'Spring Greens')
I dont know if its just coincidence but if I were you I'd feed the 'Leafy Greens' in moderation only.

Thankfully all my Buns with tummy ache recovered within half an hour of a dose of Ranitidine, some warm Camomile and Mint Tea and some gentle abdominal massage.

Spring greens are usually cabbage leaves, I'm guessing leafy greens could encompass things like kale, as well as the outer leaves of vegetables like beetroot and swede.

I know when I get bags of greens from the organic shop where we do most of our shopping, the leaf variety varies. Sometimes they're delicious, sometimes not at all ... then Daisy gets them :lol: (only kidding - only the best for my bunny).

Hope your bunnies are alright.

I've had three rabbits with gassy tums this week, and I was thinking it was probably the greens, even though they look the same as ever, I guess they are "new crop" as we've had to wait weeks for the supermarkets to restock them.

Just shows how sensitive their tummies can be.

I was really surprised that some of mine had problems as they all have a portion of greens twice a day and have done so for years.
I must admit to feeling very worried when so many of my Buns had tummy pain and I am just relieved that it has not turned out to be something more serious.
Needless to say all but one of the effected Buns were Rexes.................
Nothing will convince me that Rexes dont have ultra sensitive GI tracts.

:shock: Thanks for the info Jane. My two get a leaf twice a day too, so will reduce it and give them some broccoli instead.

Hope yours are all OK now.

I was really surprised that some of mine had problems as they all have a portion of greens twice a day and have done so for years.
I must admit to feeling very worried when so many of my Buns had tummy pain and I am just relieved that it has not turned out to be something more serious.
Needless to say all but one of the effected Buns were Rexes.................
Nothing will convince me that Rexes dont have ultra sensitive GI tracts.

Thanks for the info Jane.

Re: rex tummy problems, I totally agree, they seem to be much more sensitive.

we have them up here. They came back into sainsburys a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had a problem with them but then again, they look just like spring greens so maybe a different variety.

we have them up here. They came back into sainsburys a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had a problem with them but then again, they look just like spring greens so maybe a different variety.

The ones we have look and smell lovely. Perhaps they are just a bit 'rich' so to speak :? Rather like grass at this time of year :?

How spooky I was just having a conversation with another forum member saying we thought something was up with the greens! Then I come on here and read this! I've been washing them thoroughly incase there's some new form of pesticide on them! Ive become paranoid after so many episodes of bloat and stasis!

Its funny this... We went to Sainsburys the other day and i was so pleased these greens were back in stock! Today, Lottie seems really poorly ( She was really hunched up this morning, and the only thing theyve had different were the greens from sainsburys :( Think i shall lay off them for a few weeks :roll: xXx

Thanks for the information. I intended to do my shopping at Sainsbury's tomorrow. I haven't been there for a while because they had stopped selling spring greens.:roll: Now I think I will give it a miss for a while.

One thing I've really noticed lately is that spring greens are terrible quality, so I haven't been buying them (for eating myself) for weeks.

Im a bit weary now of buying spring greens full stop. Is it possible different supermarkets could get there supplies from same place?

I bought some spring greens from asda earlier this week, had some for our own dinner and we had tummy aches, i threw it out rather than give the buns any so they had broccilli instead.

Remember that broccoli is quite a gassy food for rabbits so shouldn't be fed in large quantities.

If it's just the 'leafy greens' then I'm going to stick with the 'Spring greens' as they still seem to have them.

I give mine the fresh greens from tesco :shock: Ooh gosh thank god your bunnies are fine.
What part of broccoli can cause gas? The stem or flowery bit?

Thanks for the warning will reduce the amount they get :roll:

I am only buying organic vegetables from now on from the local market and thoroughly scrubbling them (not washing - scrubbing!) before giving it to my darlings :shock: At least until the 'homegrown' seeds we planted are ready for munching.

I just do not trust supermarkets anymore. That is not to say that I trust local market food any more than supermarkets, but the fact that they still have bits of soil on their carrots etc is a more welcoming sight than un-naturally prinstine clean from Sainsburys :?

Back