• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Blues! Help!

gil

Mama Doe
have been trying to bond Lola and Bailey........... Lola is already neutered and Bailey was done 6 weeks ago. their cages have been side by side so they have been aware of each other plus Lola has been grooming him through the cage. last night started the bonding process in earnest and spent the night in the bathroom. put them into the indoor cage and went to bed, with the cage next to bed. didn't get any sleep as Bailey was so noisy and eventually they had a fight at around 2am so separated them.
i'm now having to rethink how to get them bonded! for today my options are the greenhouse, garage, car rides.
anyone have any other suggestions? don't know what i'm going to do if i can't get this pair bonded!

Don't keep separating them after a fight. Pull them apart but don't put them in separate places.

Other people may say this is wrong but when I bonded my trio (from a male/ female pair plus single female) I did it in the area they would be living as I have a quite territorial female and had issues with doing other ways (long story) in other neutral spaces. Move the buns out. Scrub everything down to make it neutral. Put some nice food down - good hay, favourite veggies etc. Put them down in that space together and just watch. If they fight pull them apart but don't remove either of them.

Keep going with it. Only move them away from each other if it gets past fur everywhere and they are actully hurting each other.I've helped with a few other bondings too and the buns have always been kept together after bonding even if it hasn't gone terribly well and they have been ok in the end.

Some people say putting them in a stressful situation makes them take comfort from each other and some say that by bonding slowly on their terms it makes the bond stronger.

Anyone else who has done this more often than me have anything to say/points to contrdict me on?

I am in the same situation and have been trying to bond my two over night. But have spent half of it separating fights between them. The bathroom is decorated with fur and I have plenty of cuts and scratches :D

I have read that you should stick with it and will get there in the end. Fingers crossed whilst I still have them!!!:lol:

Good Luck with your buns.

well i have had them in the greenhouse all day and so far only 1 major scuffle with fur! the house has been cleaned so everything is fresh for them coming back in! will wait till later before bringing them in. they have groomed each other but are not lying together, rather at opposite ends of the greenhouse!
thanks for replies, will keep this updated!

Glad you have a had a better day :) We are still sat in the bathroom and have resorted to watching DVDs on the laptop. Have discovered that cartoons really soothe the savage beast!! :lol:

well, Lola and Bailey are now back in the house and have had their dinner in the small indoor cage. so far so good, there were only 2 scraps with fur today. the last time i bonded Lola was very easy as Zak was quite happy to be dominated by her. unfortunately Zak had a seizure a few weeks ago and died, hence the new bun Bailey and the bonding process!
good luck Crackerz with your bond. at least we have the tv to watch tonight! not that there's a great deal on!

the bunnies had a good night-no scuffles until 6.30am this morning! they have been in the bedroom all night in the indoor cage so i'm really pleased with the progress. today it will be back to the greenhouse! although they do the odd small bit of grooming each other i wouldn't say that they are fully bonded yet and can't leave them unsupervised.

just left Lola and Bailey for the morning on their own, managed to get a half day so have come back to find them all well! wouldn't say that they are loved up yet but we seem to be making slow progress! keeping fingers crossed!

Back