• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Mystery

sidereus7

Mama Doe
If it's not one rabbit, it's another. :roll:

I have my 12 week old Holland Lop named Mimi, and she has been producing excess cecotrophs (or possibly not eating them) since she came into my life at 8 weeks old.

I have switched her from alfalfa hay to timothy hay. Switched her from alfalfa pellets to timothy pellets. I made the change over about a week's time, as the alfalfa was the suspected culprit.

I had her on unlimited pellets, but then switched to 1/2 cup. Then I switched to 1/4 cup, and I don't feel comfortable going any lower. The poos returned to normal for a little while, then switched right back.

She has not yet been introduced to any veggies, except one tiny piece of romaine lettuce.

She is a vigorous hay eater and eats constantly.

I had a fecal sample sent out yesterday to check for parasites, but it all came back negative.

I'm out of ideas now. :( Has anyone ever had this problem or have any ideas of what it might be? I'm afraid that 1/4 pellets is too little for a baby with no veggies. Since she's producing these cecotrophs anyways, can I put her back at 1/2 cup of pellets a day?

I hate bumping this back up, but any suggestions would be really helpful. I just spent a bunch of money on Eddison's neuter and the meds he needed following it, so I was hoping to try a couple things before having to go to the vet's again.

What are the dangers of excess cecotrophs?

Some youngsters are slow at always eating all their caecotrophs.

Are the caecotrophs well formed ?

What is her accomodation like and is she housed with another Rabbit?

Have you checked her Incisors and are the nice and straight and wearing down evenly?

Some youngsters are slow at always eating all their caecotrophs.

Are the caecotrophs well formed ?

What is her accomodation like and is she housed with another Rabbit?

Have you checked her Incisors and are the nice and straight and wearing down evenly?

The cecotrophs look well-formed, although I'm not entirely sure I'd know what malformed ones look like. Just looks like a cluster of grapes to me, and they stick together well.

She is in a NIC cube condo by herself. My other bun has free run of the flat and visits her often, and she gets lots of time out of the cage every day.

I've looked at her incisors and they look good. The bottom two teeth have a little space between them, and are slightly off center, but they are not crooked. Wearing on all teeth looks even.

Additionally, I've seen her grooming her hind legs and tail, so I know she has no problem reaching the area.

There's about 2-4 uneaten cecotrophs a day. Is this possibly something she would grow out of and is it unhealthy for her?

The cecotrophs look well-formed, although I'm not entirely sure I'd know what malformed ones look like. Just looks like a cluster of grapes to me, and they stick together well.

She is in a NIC cube condo by herself. My other bun has free run of the flat and visits her often, and she gets lots of time out of the cage every day.

I've looked at her incisors and they look good. The bottom two teeth have a little space between them, and are slightly off center, but they are not crooked. Wearing on all teeth looks even.

Additionally, I've seen her grooming her hind legs and tail, so I know she has no problem reaching the area.

There's about 2-4 uneaten cecotrophs a day. Is this possibly something she would grow out of and is it unhealthy for her?

I suspect that she will grow out of leaving them.
Does she usually leave them around the perimeter of her condo and/or when out exercising?

I suspect that she will grow out of leaving them.
Does she usually leave them around the perimeter of her condo and/or when out exercising?

I haven't really been able to see a pattern with leaving them around the perimeter, but I pretty much never see them outside of her cage. (I honestly can't remember a single time, but I'll leave some wiggle room for my memory's sake :lol:)

What would that mean?

Also, you are amazingly awesome as usual. BUNNY HERO! :D

Sometimes youngsters will drop a few caecals when out exercising.
They can also leave a few about their 'home territory'

As long as they are well formed, she is not getting a mucky bum and its only about 2-4 she leaves I would not worry too much. I feel pretty confident that in a few weeks she will get into the habbit of always eating them :)

Back