• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rescue buns are such a responsibility.

willowholly

Mama Doe
Dill has let me kiss,stroke him and has even ground his teeth.Was beginning to think he was ill but think hes just having a quiet moment.Rescue buns are such a responsibility,I know all buns are but what I mean is,when you know they have been through such alot before you get them and people have worked hard to get them how they are today ,you feel almost like they are on loan and need to be treated differently.A libreary book is never treated the same as a shop bought book-not that I have any intention of returning Dill.I cant really describe what I mean.I guess what Im trying to say is that I feel very honoured to give this little boy another chance and dont want to let him,Jill or Amy down in any way so Im treating him like glass.Im sure I will relax when its sunk in hes really mine and wont be going anywhere.Our bonding session is nearly complete!:)

I was like that when i first got Tink, I felt so bad for her becasue of her previous life, she wasn't used to people and I felt bad keep scaring her every time i went near her.

It's been a few months now and she has only just started coming to greet me when i open the shed door and, depending in what mood she's in, she lets me pick her up for a cuddle but it's been a slow process...well worth it though!

i get what you mean completely... Pearl was never mistreated but coming from a rescue she has a first proper mom and i have her on a forever loan

Alvin came from a place who didnt really care about him (they never answered my update email a few weeks after i bought him home) so he will always be just mine

i quite like the thought that pearl (and hopefully Alvin now too) will have a loving place to go to if i was to die tomorrow, back to pearls other mommy :love::love:

Your bun is very lucky to have you. :) And you have a lot of people on this forum to help you give Dill the best life possible. He will definitely settle into his new family, and he's part of the RU bun family now too!

Also, I think we're gonna need pictures. :love:

A responsibility but worth it :D. I would now never have a non-rescue animal as I don't really want a cuddly bunny. It would be nice but I'm happy just to watch and get my little cuddle when I give them health checks etc. I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm helping them when they have previously been unwanted and in the case of 2 of them their (minor) health issues not sorted until now :shock: .

Another good reason to get a rescue bunny is that rescue staff will let you know about health problems and if the animal is meant to be a childrens pet won't rehome the nervous ones to that that family that have a reputation of kicking and biting but will suggest the placid fluffy bunny in the pen next door. This just doesn't happen in pet shops generally.

I know what you mean about treating them differently, you don't want to let them down like so many other people in the past.

Your bun is very lucky to have you. :) And you have a lot of people on this forum to help you give Dill the best life possible. He will definitely settle into his new family, and he's part of the RU bun family now too!

Also, I think we're gonna need pictures. :love:

There are loads of pics of him on the in needs section.He used to be called Compo.Also on the pictures section there are pics of him and B their first day home.:)

I was like that when i first got Tink, I felt so bad for her becasue of her previous life, she wasn't used to people and I felt bad keep scaring her every time i went near her.

It's been a few months now and she has only just started coming to greet me when i open the shed door and, depending in what mood she's in, she lets me pick her up for a cuddle but it's been a slow process...well worth it though!

His relationship with us is very strange.He will gently take treats out our hands,chin our feet,and sometimes,sometimes he lets us stroke him.He doesn't seem to be scared but he does run away from us lots.Its all going to take time-as long as he is happy with B[which he is]thats the main thing.Our relationship ,we can work on gradually.Like you say,its a slow process but will be worth the wait.

it's the same for all other rescued species.. patience, love, trust, and particularly true with Rescued rabbits who as preys, need to regain confidence in humans, and it takes time sometimes, when the stressing situation has vanished a bit and that a real intimate bond is finally established... I usually say to people who want a rabbit : "Never disappoint a rabbit in the trust he has placed in you.. its a great honor to gain its trust as it takes so long for you to desserve it". The strongest bond i have had with a rabbit was my first one which I withdrawn from a reptile shop at the age of 3 weeks old.. she stayed afraid all her life, except of me and I was very touched that such a small animal would put is life in full confidence into my hands.

I got my first ever bunny today, she is a rescue that I took straight out of her other owners back garden (with their knowledge) so I havent had the help of a rescue centre staff, I had met the bun 4 times before today and thats it, so Im starting from scratch and its a big bit scarey, but I know I want to do the best for her and get her over all the problems and distress she has had up until the start of her new life - TODAY!!!
Only problem is Im a bunny novice.

They say that, when you adopt a rescued animal, you have twice the mountain to climb because you have to first fix other people’s mistakes before you can get through to them and bring out their true self. Even though this challenge is tough and sometimes brings you to your knees, it’s worth every effort of doing so and it’s the most rewarding experience when they begin to love and trust you back, far greater than anything I have ever experienced. I feel so fortunate to have lived with a rescue bun.

Back