• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what age for a spray / neuter?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
My 'mum' bun is nearly a year old and she is booked in for her pre-op appointment for her spray on Monday. The 'dad' bun has already been done.

I have two 'babies' which I need to get sorted one (one male, one female) so at what age can I get these sorted out please? One vet is telling me one age and a different vet it telling me another age!

Thanks!

It depends on the size and weight on the bun. Usually from 16 weeks, sometimes older for females. Males can be done as young as 12 weeks if their bits have dropped. Girls should not be done under 16 weeks as their tubes are all still too tiny and some may be missed during the op.

This is really helpful info. My 2 girlies are 4 months old but I'm going to wait until they are about 6 months so they are fully grown and fit for the op. The anaesthetic worries me the most.:shock:

It depends on the size and weight on the bun. Usually from 16 weeks, sometimes older for females. Males can be done as young as 12 weeks if their bits have dropped. Girls should not be done under 16 weeks as their tubes are all still too tiny and some may be missed during the op.

thanks! My bun's are 12 wks and are going to the vet on Monday for a mixi jab so I think I will check if I can get the male bun done sooner rather than later. I think I will wait a bit before getting the female 'baby' done then .... just to be on the safe side. Thanks!

My 'mum' bun is nearly a year old and she is booked in for her pre-op appointment for her spray on Monday. The 'dad' bun has already been done.

I have two 'babies' which I need to get sorted one (one male, one female) so at what age can I get these sorted out please? One vet is telling me one age and a different vet it telling me another age!

Thanks!

What colour do you want her :lol:

I would say from 16 weeks, as long as they are at least 1kg, females can be spayed.

Boys can be done as soon as their testicles drop. Different vets will spay girls at different times. Some wait until 6 months others will wait for a specific weight. If there is no particular reason to get her done quickly then I would wait for 6 months personally. I wouldn't leave it longer than say 10 months though.

Boys can be done as soon as their testicles drop. Different vets will spay girls at different times. Some wait until 6 months others will wait for a specific weight. If there is no particular reason to get her done quickly then I would wait for 6 months personally. I wouldn't leave it longer than say 10 months though.

There is no reason to get her done (if I get the boy done soon or seperate them) but I have two pairs at the moment and would like to bond them into a foursome. I know my best chance of this, to get them all sorted out before bonding. Only one rabbit has been done so far, Star (the mum) is booked in for next week, so I then have the two 'babies' to get sorted out.

Back