• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG can u neuter a rabbit yourself????

I guess this idea comes from castrating lambs and calves (I've been doing this for several weeks :lol:). But I would never suggest it for rabbits, the shock may kill them.

I know that is how they castrate sheep, but not sure if it is legal to do it to rabbits. Sounds dodgy to me and very painful, it is basically cutting off the blood supply to the testes, which must hurt. The animals tetses must also be dropped so the aren't babies when it happens, I would also have thought the rabbit would do some self trauma by trying to remove the bands. Totally disgusting I would say and should be reported!

Not saying this for a reaction but how is it ok for lambs and calves but not bunnies. Sorry for being dense on this one

Not saying this for a reaction but how is it ok for lambs and calves but not bunnies. Sorry for being dense on this one

Well, i would say that because 1. lambs and calves are less susceptible to shock stress and 2. The people who do this to lambs and calves (usually farmers) do it over and over and will be trained in how to do it. Taking advice from a website to have a one-off go at neutering a bunny i would say is A LOT different.

Oh flippen eck', no way :shock:

I hate it when he is under anesthetic let alone just to put something round his privates!

What makes it worse, that people who come across that site would probably try and do that!

Last edited:

I hated having to do it for college. They always struggled and would baa. :( But farm animals are different that companion animals, and the techniques are usually to save money. Imagine having to get the vet to properly castrate around 200 lambs, would cost a fortune. I hate the way farm animals are treated but it's life.

I didnt think it was right either!!! dont worry I would never do it
:S I was just checking thanks anyway x

Not saying for a moment i would even cosider doing it :shock: Just wondered thats all.

Do the lambs and calves appear to suffer from it tho?

Aww bless them thats sad :cry: does it hurt them when they are 'drying' up/dropping off?

don't know, but our teacher said that they do suffer from some sort of discomfort for the time it takes to drop off, usually about 10 days. Before, they used to hack them off with a knife, so lets be thankful they don't do that anymore. :shock:

Not saying for a moment i would even cosider doing it :shock: Just wondered thats all.

Do the lambs and calves appear to suffer from it tho?

Yeah bless them, but its probably similar to a neutered bunny recovering. In fact i would go as far as to say in some ways it's a better method (for those animals) than to be anesthetised but not for amateurs reading from a website to attempt

Sorry, but why is it different?

Cos it's about money, it's more efficient to do this method than to anaethise and castrate them and offer them pain relief for a large number of male lambs, sometimes as much as 200-500. I don't like this fact either, and how farm animals are treated, I'm just stating the facts.

I hate the whole process, we have a farm down the road that is used for certain lessons dependant on college course, we currently have 6 orphaned lambs that are being handreared, They are such perfect tiny little creatures. My favourite is an all black one, the smallest, who i have named Poppet. Unfortunately, the farm is a meat one and as soon as they are reared, they will be slaughtered.

I think this is disgusting and what to take them.
To do so you need a DEFRA license as they have to be sold as livestock, then for £60, you can have one :cry:

If anyone knows how long it takes to get:cry: a license through DEFRA/cost of one, please let me know.

Back