• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping :o)

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Ronnie and Lola are off for bonding in April :D *fingers crossed it'll all work out*

This means they will both be moving into the shed outside... because of this i really want to get them microchipped :)

My only question is... does it 'hurt' them? :? I spoke to the vet the other day when Ronnie went for his vaccs - its not our rabbit savvy vets, i literally use them for vaccs as theyre cheaper, but i was slightly worried as she said its the size of a rice grain, and may cause bunny to bleed a little? :? She didnt really know what she was on about anyway with regards to bunnies, but is this right? :? xXx

Yes it will hurt them a little bit when the needle goes in, I recently had two boys done. I think they were more upset about the whole experience of going to the vet than having the chip injections. It's nothing to really worry about, it's just a short pain and then it's gone :)

My vet offered to microchip my rabbit when he was going in for a neuter. It's probably best done when the rabbit is asleep, so it might be worth it to pair the procedure with a dental. Just an idea! :)

I microchipped 2 of Lynda_ms buns and they didn't react in any way at all. It was done and dusted very quickly and it didn't bother them :)

I need to get my buns chipped, how much does it usually cost?

Usually about £20. My local pet shop was doing it for £15 a couple of months back.

My buns got done at the shelter when they were neutered so they were definitely under. I noticed a scab for a while though so I doubt it is too pleasant.

Usually about £20. My local pet shop was doing it for £15 a couple of months back.

My buns got done at the shelter when they were neutered so they were definitely under. I noticed a scab for a while though so I doubt it is too pleasant.

If it's scabbed, it's just bled a little. Microchipping isn't unpleasant for them.

I want to get my two chipped. Ill speak with my vet about it. Would they chip them at the RSPCA centre?

If it's scabbed, it's just bled a little. Microchipping isn't unpleasant for them.

Very true just a good idea to get it done while under GA in my opinion if they have to have a GA for something else, get all the unpleasant stuff done when they are not aware of it especially with a nervous bun.

I would recommend everyone get it done though as so many animals get brought to the shelter I volunteer at who's owners can't be traced which causes quite a bit of work with vet checks/ treatment, having to set up an area for them/find a fosterer if there is no space. If the owner could be traced then they could have their animal back within the hour.

I imagine whether or not it hurts depends very much on the bun - pain threshold, nervousness etc. When I had my three cats microchipped several years ago, two of them were fine but the third one 'screamed' and wouldn't let me cuddle her for days afterwards.

I think i'm going to get Daisy done, even though she's a house bun, just in case.

We've found so many stray dogs over the years, and as far as I remember none of them were microchipped - I wish people were obliged by law to microchip their pets.

Thanks guys :)

Its £25 each bun at our vets, but its worth it IMO. I shall have to look into taking them. I cant get it done while theyre under GA, none are dental buns *touch wood* and theyve already been neutered :)

Shall update once theyve had it done :) xXx

All 3 of mine are being chipped in June this year. Ive held off until then as thats when I am doing my ID chip course, so i will be doing my 3 myself :shock: and really nervous.

Mine are indoor buns but i do take them out in the summer.

ETA, Its £15 at my vets, I get rescue discount but once ive passed my course I am going to offer it at a good low price to encourage people to get there pets done.

Ok.. ive jsut rang three seperate vets. My normal vets say £20, the other local vet say £27.95 and the cheapest is vets for pets in newport which say £15 for the normal chip.

Im am going to ring the RSPCA to see if they do it too. x

Our local rspca does it for £10 but i know all branches are different.

Yikes some of those prices seem steep!

Just looked on our rspca site... it says dogs can be done for £10 :thumb: Very cheap... but no mention of bunnies... Lucyyyyy!! :lol:

ETA: Even if Lucy did offer microchipping for bunnies... she wouldnt want Ronnie there lmao! :oops: Its shameful havin such a naughty bunny :? :lol: xXx

Yes it will hurt them a little bit when the needle goes in, I recently had two boys done. I think they were more upset about the whole experience of going to the vet than having the chip injections. It's nothing to really worry about, it's just a short pain and then it's gone :)

How much did you pay, and did the Estover vets do them?

Bolton RSPCA are starting microchipping their rescue buns or should I say they are going to be sending me on a course to microchip their buns:roll:

If anyone can get to Bolton this Saturday then the RSPCA are microchipping bunnies for £5, if anyone wants details then please feel free to pm me:D

Bolton RSPCA are starting microchipping their rescue buns or should I say they are going to be sending me on a course to microchip their buns:roll:

If anyone can get to Bolton this Saturday then the RSPCA are microchipping bunnies for £5, if anyone wants details then please feel free to pm me:D

Thats really good :) Id take all of mine if it were £5 here :lol: That'll be a useful thing to be able to do though :) xXx

My 4 have been done, it was £25 each, they have the thermal ones so scanning them also gets their temperatures... no bumfun and thermometers for my babies :lol:

Back