• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drug licensing laws

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering if anyone is having similar problems to me.

It has just taken me a week to eventually get some more ceporex from the vets. I have 2 bunnies on daily injections for life, it was costing me a fortune to buy them individually so last time I was able to buy the remains of a bottle from the vets. This ran out last week so i asked if they had another part bottle I could buy, if not could I have a prescription as it is under half price online.

They didn't have a part used bottle just a full one. I couldn't have that or a prescription as licensing laws mean I cannot have a whole bottle. This meant I had to go back to buying individual injections until something could be sorted.

Eventually the vets were able to find a place that sold small empty injectable bottles so they could transfer some from the main bottle for me. I now have a third of a large bottle, but this has cost me the same as buying a whole bottle online. Plus they charged me £4 for the bottle itself.

I was just wondering if licensing laws had change recently and anyone else was having problems? I know I was able to buy whole bottles a few years ago :?

I think there are more 'Rabbit specific' problems as so few drugs are actually licenced for Rabbits. Therefore the prescribing Vet has to abide by the 'Cascade' prescribing system and if unlicenced drugs are used a 'Disclaimer' is supposed to be signed by the owner before the drug is used. Also, I think the unlicenced drug is meant to be administered by a qualified Vet/Vet Nurse. I am not certain on that though. I am aware that there has been a recent tightening up of prescribing of medication but am not sure of the specifics.

Buying in small quantities can sometimes work out as ridiculously expensive.
As for charging you for the bottle....................:shock: :roll:

Yes I have the same problem, I had Lexie on Engemycin injections and Mack on Depocillin injections and brought a full bottle of each due to cost. However the vets could not dispense me wih a full bottle of each due to both drugs being on the DDA list, so basically I have to go once a monh and pick up 10 pre-drawn syringes of each. It isn't ideal and causes issues with the syringes bunging up but it's the only way around it to allow me to take advantage of the bulk purchase price.

It does seem strange though when you consider I have a couple of vials of Vetergesic sitting here, but then that was seen as proportional to its use at the time of dispensing.

The bottles (well bottle now as Mack is on Engemycin too & the Depocillin has been chucked) are stored in the drug safe at the vets and labelled with my name, they can't be used without my permission. Incidently I pay for syringes & needles so that the vets are at least getting something for their time when I go to collect the medication, as they should really perform a check-up before dispensing anymore.

That is funny Sooz, as i have Depocillin for my Phillip and the vet gave me the whole, unopened bottle. I wonder why the difference??

Hugo's there, if you bought some syringes of ceporex, that then means the bottle isn't full anymore! Could they not have sold you one syringe and then the opened bottle, if they were so keen on keeping things right. Still I find it strange when you're obviously a good and sensible client not to be more accomodating. Like Jane, I can't believe they charged you for a refilled bottle.:shock:

But there was still to much in the bottle for me to be able to have it at home. The most they would give me was 30ml from 100ml bottle.

:shock::shock:

our vet is dutch and she said the rules out there are so different for prescribing for buns and stuff to give to the client etc..the first time i met her i warned her about not being bale to prescribe selamectin for ear mites or fur mites in bunnies..she was horrified..she said its the best stuff and she prescribed it all the timeout there.

she gave me some metacam for casper and for the first time ever i had to sign a waiver/consent to say its not for buns and i knew it wasnt and the risks etc:shock: laws are tightening!

Back