• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French lops any information?

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
hi i seen a French lop yesterday there but i was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them and the general looking after them and the space they need. any info would be great. :D

Last edited:
I prefer frenchies as house rabbits or in sheds. Mine were rescued from the smallest of hutch and they could only lay down with 12" either side. It was horrendous and they were in this for a year. I bought them home here and put them temporarily in my old hutch, which is 5'. It was ridiculous and after 24 hours they got the kitchen.

I know some members do have them in hutches and it depends on how much time they are out of it and whether there is a huge run attached and, my preferences, are not a criticism of others arrangements.

yeah i need to know sort of size requirements for housing a french lop, the shed will be divided inside and each rabbit will have a 4x5 sleeping area and a 4x6 run. but not sure that would be enough plus exercise in the house.

Purely because of the size Frenchies can get to I would only considor having them as house/shed+run buns.
Is this about the scurfy Frenchie boy at the rescue?
x

My frenchie is the gentlest and most gorgeous rabbit.
She is around 5kg and lives with a tiny naughty nethie who weighs under 1kg.

Frenchies tend to be rather laid back, and imo have poor hearing cos of their big heavy ears (although the rattle of a food tin makes her spring into action!)
She can be rather lazy, but she loves sitting out in her enclosure, and even better loves bombing around the garden.

Are you thinking of going back to the rescue to have another look?

aw they do sound sweet, o i'm really just not sure i sent the girl an email so just waiting to here back from here. if all 3 could be bonded i would be the happiest women in the world.

mine have been housebuns..ive only got bertie remaining. And he is a laaaazy boy:lol: hes like having a labrador!! he lived 18 months in a hutch in a shed and free range of the garden with his best pal a dog and 5 cats.

hes adapted to being a housebunny really well and is now so spolit.

my french lop honey is also a house bunny and is waiting to be bonded with my other rabbit alfie (a dutch). she is so laid back and just lazes around watching the world go by she loves watching out the patio doors. she doesnt mind the dog either and just lets him sniff her, alfie hates him.

Maybe the rescue would try the bond for you? Otherwise you'd be at risk of three bunnies all having to be kept separately :?

:wave: I've just got my frenchie, George! He's big considering he's a frenchie, 5 kilos and only 9 months old now :shock:. He'll be sharing accomodation with Hermy and Oscie, my two giants in a 15ft X 4ft enclosure once the are bonded! I haven't been successful bonding, so I've asked Tracy at RNGP to help me out!

They are lovely buns, I'm still yet finding out what sort of personality George has though, I know he LOVES digging, and he loves his veg! I too have noticed they have poor hearing, and theres no chance they can see you coming up behind them. I've noticed I have to brush him everyday, becuase his coat is thicker and longer than normal short haired buns too. they are BEAUTIFUL to look at though!

Good luck with you're new frenchie ;)

They are the best breed of bun in the world-but im biased!:lol:They are so laid back,brilliant as housebuns cos they cant get in small places & chew wires.I love using b as a pillow.Will always have a french lop.

thanks guys for your replies. i;m still not sure i'm getting him. my husband put my mind to rest last night about bonding all 3. he still doesn't mind me getting a partner for one of them but thinks that they are happy enough buns without buns. i'm still waiting on the girl getting back to me about him. had enough thought of a wee name for him :oops: very naughty. what do you's feed your frenchies?

I love my frenchie sooooo much, he has the conservatory in the winter free range with a dog crate for base then in the summer he goes in his playhouse with attached run in the day but i bring him in of a night. He's really laid back but is rather clumsy due to his oversized feet :roll: he loves climbing and food. He does seem to sleep a lot and knows what he wants! Food wise he has pellets in the morning a veg snack of the afternoon and quite a bit of veg at bedtime. He goes through lots and lots of hay and I think if he could eat all the time he would!

Back