• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Needing Reassurance Regarding My Decison Re Lop Bun

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Please help...I'm needing some reassurance that I'm not making a huge mistake!
After a few weeks of looking for a new bun (after my devastating loss of Merlin) I finally fell in love with a little boy bun. However, after telling myself that I wouldn't choose a lop due to their tendancy to be pre-disposed to dental problems...you've guessed it, he's a lop!
I've reserved him & am due to pick him up tommorow but now I'm panicing that I've made a huge mistake in my choice (I am very sensitive on the whole dental thing as I lost Merlin under a GA when he was having a dental).
Lop owners please give me some reassurance that as long as I'm aware of the dental issue & am vigilant about it that I should go ahead with my choice before I totally back out! :?

My sister has two lops and has never had any dental problems with them, they are both 4/5 :)

You are just as likely to get dental problems with other buns such as nethies so go ahead and don't worry!

Aww, sounds like you are agonising over this. I would say that you don't choose rabbits, they choose you. This little boy obviously wanted you to fall in love with him so I'd go ahead and bring him home, it sounds like it's meant to be:)

All i can say is that if you dont get him,and you find out hes gone to someone else you will be so gutted and wish to god you did get him,and thats an awfull feeling.

I've had a few lops, currently got Hattie. I've only ever had one lop with dental problems, Greg. Got him from P@h a few years back, he had a jaw problem that caused dental problems. At one point i had 8 lops, not a single one ever had dental problems.

Hope your new bun will be ok :)

I think you should go for it, you're bound to have doubts after losing a rabbit from dental treatment previously. My Bea, is a big beastie lop and she has "textbook" bunny teeth according to 2 different vets. :)

Hi , I've got a lop and an uppy eared bunny and it's the uppy eared bun that has the the problems with his teeth my lop is 2 years old and has had no issues with her teeth at all so I really do think it depends on the bun. I'd say go for it hun. x

We have had 6 lops, 3 dentals and 2 likely to be, as the vet can see uneven growth on them (brother & sister) Their mom is one of the 3 who have had dentals.. and their other bro is another one of the 3 - so in a word 4 dental lops are related... so personally I think it is a hereditary problem for mine! The other bun was not related.. and I have also had a dutch who has had dentals.

Think I am just unlucky :(:roll::cry:

I have had 3 lops, and none of them have had dental probs, you've got to get him now anyway, he'll be all excited about coming home with you!

A big thank you everyone for your comments & kind words :thumb:
You've all made me realise that I should trust my instinct & go with the little chap, as it felt right so is obviously 'meant to be'.
I shall post some pix of him on the forum once he's settled. Thank you again -don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight as I'm looking forward to collecting him! xx

I've had 2 lops, both with dental probs. HOWEVER, when I spoke to vet (Mr Harcourt Brown) he assured me that lops are no more prone to dental probs than any other bun.
I say go for it!

X

awhh i'm glad you decided to get him. I know dental bunnies are a worry but merlins passing was very unfortunate and not something that may happen again.
the most important thing is you are ginving this bunny a great new life and all the love he could want. i hope you enjoy getting to know him, you must send pics into the magazine!

Two 5 year old lops here and touch wood no dental problems to date. They get loads of fresh hay but also get to graze a lot on the grass keeping there teeth down as well as my grass, happy days :lol: :lol:.

thumper lived to almost 10 yr old but had dental probs for the last 5 years of his life ...

but his wifeybun flopsey is now 8 year old and her teeth are perfect ..

both are lops.

Back