• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do?!?! Please help :(

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
I work in a vets and a lady rang up to ancel her appointment for her cat as she has to look after her 6 year old granddaughter. It is her birthday tomorrow and her parents are buying her a 'rabbit and a hutch' and want to wait until she's in bed to 'put it in the garden' so it's there when she wakes up.

I didn't say anything at the time and I am now regretting it.

Do you think I should ring this lady and offer advice?

How much do you want to bet that this Rabbit will be an unwanted pet in a couple of months? :)

I know how you feel, it is difficult. You don't really want to interfere with other people's life, and I would find it hard to make it sound polite enough. If you have the guts, then call her. Mention rescues to her, and maybe tell her that the usual pet shop hutches are small and not fox proof. And that rabbits don't like to be picked up and cuddled. And how much they cost.
Good luck! :)

Erin, you can't ring her now as it would be contrary to the data protection act. You have to act as an agent for the vets and by ringing her and offering unsolicited advice she may well complain and legally I think she would be entitled.

If you had managed to speak to her at the time, then it might have been different as you hadn't contacted her, BUT, you still need to ensure that your employer wishes you to do this. You put your employer in a very difficult position if they don't agree with your stance. Or even if they agree with it but do not wish to jeopardise their client relationship.

I have had to keep it buttoned many a time at work, but am always available if someone wants advice. I have my cards behind reception and they are handed out to interested parties.

It's hard, but you really can't do anything.

Erin, you can't ring her now as it would be contrary to the data protection act. You have to act as an agent for the vets and by ringing her and offering unsolicited advice she may well complain and legally I think she would be entitled.

If you had managed to speak to her at the time, then it might have been different as you hadn't contacted her, BUT, you still need to ensure that your employer wishes you to do this. You put your employer in a very difficult position if they don't agree with your stance. Or even if they agree with it but do not wish to jeopardise their client relationship.

I have had to keep it buttoned many a time at work, but am always available if someone wants advice. I have my cards behind reception and they are handed out to interested parties.

It's hard, but you really can't do anything.

Ok, thank you Helen. x

Ok, thank you Helen. x

I know how you feel. You just know what the outcome for the poor little bunny is going to be - but you might just get a chance when the client eventually comes back in with the cat to say oooh how's it going with the rabbit? Maybe your practice can get some leaflets in from the RWA to hand out to clients. That way it's reasonable good advice and it opens the way for you to chat in the future. I 'd just take every opportunity to talk rabbits very loudly in front of people when you think there might be an issue - they then might ask you for help.

Helen

I know how you feel. You just know what the outcome for the poor little bunny is going to be - but you might just get a chance when the client eventually comes back in with the cat to say oooh how's it going with the rabbit? Maybe your practice can get some leaflets in from the RWA to hand out to clients. That way it's reasonable good advice and it opens the way for you to chat in the future. I 'd just take every opportunity to talk rabbits very loudly in front of people when you think there might be an issue - they then might ask you for help.

Helen

That's a good idea...will do that.

I had the same sort of problem with angels 1st litter. A friend said he would have 2 for his grandaughters and OH agreed to it and i didnt realy get a say in it and she was going to give him our small hutch as well.. We kept the first litter as they where hand reared. When her final litter was born i saw the mother of the children and asked her if she would like the a bunny she doesnt like them at all. My friend hadnt asked her and i dred to think how long it would of lasted before they forget about.

If she made an appointment for her cat then no doubt she will make another then let her know even if she has already bought the bunny by that stage, and you never know, maybe the little girl will look after it well?

Back