• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help (especially those with dog crates) not sure what to do....

Toadie

Alpha Buck
At night Frodo has the roam of the bedroom and the hallway, however occasionally I will close him in his crate if he has been annoying (he loooves giving my H bunny bathes, not just once a night!) and been jumping all over us. I did that this morning, however I decided to get up about ten minutes later. He was fine, munching hay, when just as i grabbed my track top, he wen't ballistic. He was literally panicking, jumping into the sides, head first on a few occasions. I flew to open the door and H jumped out of bed. My poor baby was crouching terrified in a corner. :cry: However it did'nt take much to coax him out with some pellets.
H thinks the floor of the crate is too slippy for him and I am also wondering (I did wash it out yesterday using a bit of washing up liquid, something I will never do again, and I am wondering if I did'nt rinse it off properly :oops:). Those of you who have crates, what do you use as bedding?. I just use fleece blankets, but am now thinking about buying some vet bed, hopefully less slippy.
He is due to go to the Vet next month for his VHD shot so I am going to ask them to check him over for his eyesight. A few times he has suddenly startled at something, though never to this extent.
Frodo seems to have forgotten his ordeal :lol::love: I have been keeping an eye on him in the front room. He did worry me at first as he instantly lay down next to his stuffed toy and seemed very sleepy, however he is now quite happily chewing on his tube and trying to get into places that are sealed of. So thats normal! :lol:

when i had a crate i bought a jute mat from tescos to put on the bottom of it... with the litter tray and the mat there was only a tiny bit of floor space that was uncovered

Smudge is in one. I have tried everthing but have gone back to a small sprinkle of woodshavings. He doesnt like being in a hutch as he sulks all day so we had to put him back in there.

Did think carpet tiles, but Frodo is a Rex and am thinking vet bed would be softer on his hocks?

my crate has horse foam matting in it (more expencive version of rubber matting) with a blanket over it for her to lay on. i put the matting in as nala used to be scared to move about in the crate due to slipping over. Many people use the foam kids play mats also in their crates and play pen.

i used to use carpet but if buns have a little accident on it, which mine did after spay through being too poorly to move the carpet smells real bad and its hard to get clean and smelling nice again.

:wave:

What about those foam squares that fit together (i think you are supposed to use them for putting under excercise equipment)? I have these in the bottom of my hutch and they are quite soft and fairly non-slip and you could always have the fleece on top.

You can get a pack of 4 from B&Q for about £12 and they are quite large and easy to cut to the right size

Back