• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT: Poorly Eddison After Surgery - U/D Yay!!!!

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Hello all. I wanted to catch some people on the forums before the went to bed, as it is only 3:30pm here.

My rabbit Eddison was just neutered a little over 24 hours ago now. Since he came home, he hasn't been poo'ing. I've gotten a couple very small stringy poos that were misshapen and dark colored. He's eating a little. I can get him to eat romaine lettuce if I put it in front of his face and hand small pieces to him one by one. His stomach had been gurgling (but has since stopped thanks to the Gas-X below) He'll occasionally eat a couple pellets, but lose interest quickly. He's stopped eating his hay.

I spoke to my vet this morning after a night of worry and she had me do the following:

Critical Care (twice a day)
Benebac (twice a day)
Gas-X (three times a day)
Metacam (once a day)

The Gas-X worked well, as I said, but still no poos since I started this around 11am. He refuses to eat the Critical Care, even when force fed. He will just spit it out and get really stressed, and I wonder if the stress of being force fed is worse than the benefits it would yield.

I really need some good advice. The vet gave me a script for metachlorpromide to fill in the morning if things aren't better by then.

Should I fill it early and get him started on it, or should I give it a little time? I hate giving him so many drugs.

Also, is it ok to give both Metacam and metachlorpromide if it comes down to it, along with Gas-X and a probiotic?

Please help my bunny. He's my best friend. :cry:

Last edited:
Probiotics are to rebalance the good bacteria, the other 2 drugs are a painkiller and a gut stimulant - so all three could be used togeather :)
Id personally have them on ALL 3 if they werent eating properly, or pooing!
try and tempt him again, but if hes not eating, id personally force feed him anything, can you get hold of a jar of fruity baby food? or even mush down some apple or carrot? if hes not eating within the next few hours, id be taking him back to the vet :)
Im assuming gas-x is the equivalent of infacol over here. Id personally not give him it, incase its bloat and just continue with the other meds - then get him to the vets if he dont respond soon

Last edited:
I agree, if he doesnt respond soon, i would take him back to Vets.

I wasnt happy with how some of mine came round, so i took them back to Vets & they kept them in for the night.

Hope he comes around soon, sorry i wasnt much help xxxx

He just dropped a pile of cecotrophs and turned around and ate them!!!

Does this mean his gut is moving better now? Or do they cecotrophs come from a different place that's independent of normal bowel movements?

Agggggh bunnies!

Sorry to hear he's not doing well :( I usually try to let them start eating on their own first because force feeding seems to make them worse but do it if he's just not responding to the foods your offering. Tempt him with anything, all my buns will eat dry porridge oats when they're poorly, don't give them too much as it will swell in the stomach. How long has it been since he's not been eating/pooing properly?

Does this mean his gut is moving better now? Or do they cecotrophs come from a different place that's independent of normal bowel movements?

Agggggh bunnies!

No, that's a good sign. Not all rabbits will bounce back immediately after surgery, but if they aren't eating by the next evening then they should be force fed and a trip to the vets is in order. usually bucks will be eating within a few hours of coming home from a neuter, but every rabbit is different!

I've had some recover virtually straight away and others take a few days to start eating properly. The fact that he is nibbling on things at least is a good thing.

Agggggh bunnies!

thats a very good sign - it means atleast something has passed through his stomach! Keep an eye on the cecotrophs - if he leaves any,save them for him :)

Sorry to hear he's not doing well :( I usually try to let them start eating on their own first because force feeding seems to make them worse but do it if he's just not responding to the foods your offering. Tempt him with anything, all my buns will eat dry porridge oats when they're poorly, don't give them too much as it will swell in the stomach. How long has it been since he's not been eating/pooing properly?

He's been eating on and off since the surgery, but there have been only about six little poo pellets in the past 30 hours or so. He just dropped a pile of cecotrophs and ate them, so I don't know if it's happened before when I was sleeping last night. I WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN :cry:

If I don't see some real change in an hour, I will definitely call the vets.

Just keep a close eye on him - maybe put bunny in your bedroom, or get snuggled down by him where u can watch him??
Piper my girl rabbit took ages to bounce back from her spay, but Phoebe was alright within a few hours of being home - as charlie82 says, everybun is different! :)
A very good sign hes done his special poos though!! :D

Yep, that a good sign that he's eaten his cecotrophs :) Might just be taking him a little longer to recover. Sending vibes for the little guy x

Thanks so much for the vibes. I've given vibes to a lot of bunnies on this forum, but now I know what it's like to be on the receiving end. They tingle! :shock::lol:

He just did another nice cecotroph and ate it. I'm reallllly realllly hoping he's ok.

Hang in there, bunny buddy.

Im sure bunny will be fine, esp if hes eating his special poops! :D just a case of close observation and tempting him with treats i think :lol:

some bunnies react to anaesthetic very differently..tiny buns and very big buns have a rought time with it. tiny buns because they cannot get it out of their system fast enough..like our little rescued bun casper..his heart stopped during his op:shock: so we dont know if he makes it through this if he can be neutered or not.

I think it depends too how close to the end of the day theyre operated on in nuetering etc.....the ones who get down in the mornings first thing seem to have a better recovery rate purely because theyve had more time to get over it.
The other thing is of ocurse pain relief..and they do need it..too little can stop them recovering for obvious reasons but then again too high a dose of painkilelr can render them almsot lifeless. the vet can see and adjust accordingly.

to be honest if cecal poos are being produced and being eaten theres a very good chance his tums working or at least moving but if theres no significant improvement rapidly then ask the vet to see him again. sometimes even with pain meds the shock of the pain may really make them very ill indeed.

i will be hoping to see a happy update:wave:

some bunnies react to anaesthetic very differently..tiny buns and very big buns have a rough time with it. tiny buns because they cannot get it out of their system fast enough..like our little rescued bun casper..his heart stopped during his op:shock: so we dont know if he makes it through this if he can be neutered or not.

I read about poor Casper! I'm glad they got his heart going again, and I really hope he pulls through strong.

Eddison is doing a little better. He poo'd about 3 times in an hour and he seems to be more active. After reading about Fudge in another thread, I decided to let Eddison be a little more active, while supervised. This also seemed to help him get his gut moving a bit more.

He's been eating some of his pellets and hay on his own again, and the pain seems less. I'm still going to watch him closely, but I'm hoping that this is the start of a turn around.

Please keep us posted on Casper, and may both our buns make speedy recoveries! :)

I responded to you under your other thread and didn't see this one. . Things look improved on this thread as he is now eating himself. Hoping it continues.

Rabbit is doing sooooooooo much better!! :D:D

He is eating pellets on his own and his poos have returned almost to complete normal size! I've been letting him wander around the flat like he used to, which is probably bad on the day after surgery, but I think it's been really good for him to get his gut moving, and he's not running or binkying, but I'll be watching that little sneak! :lol:

Thank you all soooo much for your help. I was in tears at times and this board gave me a lot of confidence and support. RU vibes are the best!

So glad he's doing better - sounds like he's really turned the corner - you can start sleeping again! :D

Glad to here hes ok!! :D
I let my bunnys out the day after neutering for wandering, i just made sure they kept calm and werent leapin about :lol:

Thats a relief as it was quite worrying. We have Science Recovery in the UK, which is similar to critical care. If you pm me your address, Ill send you a sachet. You can try this for your bunny, when he is well and its not an emergency, to see if he likes it. It might be then good to have some in your emergency kit at home. Fingers crossed you wont need it, but if he spits out CC, you need an alternative. Im just going to order myself another box and Ill send you a sachet.

Back