• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So, what got you into "bunnies"?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
As the title says, lets hear your stories.

I wanted a bunny of my own, after taking on the role of looking after the OH's twin sisters!

:)

I got given a bunny for my 8th birthday. I didn't know I was getting one and I didn't ask for one either but I'm very glad my parents had the idea as I've never looked back since!

i always had the odd bun or 2 growing up. They are a very distant memory though because I was so young. I was about 16 and i went into a dodgy pet shop and came out with a bunny who they said was female. I didn't want her to be lonely so i got another female from the local paper. Turned out the bun from the pet shop wasn't female at all, was male and i was left with 7 babies :shock: i learnt so much from that and thats how i got into rabbits :)

I wanted a dog for the longest time, but my mother was allergic. So my brother and I put together a 30 minute presentation, complete with: 20 page packet with schedules, cost estimates, and various acceptable breeds, 3 jazz songs (my brother on saxophone, while i sang modified "dog lyrics", and lots and lots of begging.

Mom said no. :cry:

So when I finally moved out on my own, a friend of mine told me about her bunny and how much she loved it. I did some research and I fell in love. I got a wonderful nethie and that's that! :love:

Ironically, the girl who got me into bunnies abandoned her bunny when she moved out of state and forced it on her roommates. The bunny died within a few days. She didn't even care. :censored:

I actually have no idea!! I suddenly wanted one when i was about 20 but decided to wait a year or so until I had a garden and was in a better area as was worried it would kept bunny napped!!
I got my first from P@H and only at that point read up on buns (which i know is completely the wrong way :oops:) but now i'm addicted and read up on them loads and always try and learn new stuff. :D

When my husband and I first moved in together, I really wanted a dog, but we were living in a one bedroom flat with no garden, so not enough room.

We had read that rabbits could live indoors, so we decided to get a 'houserabbit' instead. Neither of us had ever cared for a rabbit before and knew little about their needs. If someone now told me they were getting a rabbit from a petshop and knew nothing about their needs I would be horrified, but that is exactly what we did. I think we both had some impression that rabbits just sat quietly in their cages all day and didn't do anything. Yes stupid, ignorant.

However, our first rabbit Kellogg very quickly re-educated us as to the needs of rabbits!! He definitely did not agree with the view that rabbits should sit quietly in their cages all day :lol:He saw his role more as running round the flat causing as much mischeif as possible or lounging on the settee fast asleep. He became our messy flatmate who never cleared up after himself :lol: And that (far too small) cage we bought was abandoned in a matter of weeks.

And that was how I got into rabbits!!

I had a rabbit as a young child but it was vicious then I had a cat and he was vicious, I had a son and.... :lol: Then I went into the pet shop a year ago saw the most gorgeous rabbit - a rex harlequin - never seen a rex before, and fell in love. Pleaded with my hubby and Smudge became mine. :love: (Well actually he is strictly speaking my son's but only to make him feel that animals are good and need looking after) My son loves him but is 9 and it's me that REALLY loves him. The pampered pet he is! I now want another one. I am known as the mad bunny lady! LOL I am obsessed with them.

I always loved bunnies and GSD Dogs.When I was five my dad said if i could swim a mile i could have a bunny.I swam the mile and got peter and Jane.The rest is history:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:I have photos of me and my buns.When i can work out how to put old photos onto the computer I will put some piccies on RU

I grew up with a dog companion between ages 7 and 24 and always believed I would get a dog when I got my own house. The main thing that held be back on getting a dog was being veggie and I wanted to do right by a dog but couldn't cope with the idea of feeding it meat. I never actually thought, 'I'll go out and get a rabbit then" but I was walking through a garden centre and this gorgeous bunny came up to me and stared me full in the face. She meant business. I was totally blown over by her. I read a book (which turns out to be only worth binning :roll:) Then went back 2 days later and bought her and a 3ft double hutch (big hutch, according to the pet shop:?). She quickly moved indoors though, into a big pen and the hutch became attached to a run so it wasn't her 'prison' for very long. Next bunny came 1 month later, then another 2 months after that .... (like you do :roll::lol:)

i was told as a kid no bunnys as its cruel to keep em locked up in a hutch when they should be wild (infact apart from one hamster and one dog my childhood was very very animaless :evil::evil:)

my mate had a litter of baby buns and kept telling me one had my name on it, i had a look online saw they were destructive monsters so didnt have one. i got chippies instead :love::love::love:

then when it didnt work out with a 2nd dog (ralph became really depressed) and she went back to stes family in scotland i NEEDED to fill the hole she left so i got Alvin..

i was not prepared for this obession tho :shock::shock::shock:

Ive always wanted a dog, OH wanted a cat, he said I couldn't have a dog we wern't in enough, I said he couldn't have a cat, Im allergic! We left it at that.

18 months on My cousin went on holiday with her mam, leaving her rabbit with my Aunty, two weeks after they had come back, it was still on holiday at my aunty's with my cousin saying she didn't want a rabbit anymore.

Aunty said she would look after it, but I said I would look into it too. 10 days later a hutch run combo turns up at my house, with a very bemused OH looking at me asking what is that? "Were having a rabbit honey!" Built the hutch and went back to get MY rabbit. and that was Charlie.

I then found you guys who told me how it actually was! Soon followed Princess as a friend (RIP gorgeous), then a 5ft double hutch and perm run. Followed by Sophie, who I found was too young to go outside (What a shame :D) Soon followed Autumn, who was a friend for Charlie. Followed by another 5ft double hutch and run. And another bunny Granite :)

that is my bunny family (for now)

I used to have a rabbit and a guinea pig pair (back in day, mind you! :oops:) and a group of girl pigs, and I loved them to pieces. I thought I would never get furries again, but when I used to work in a pet shop and they had some beautiful giant rabbits in there. I quit that job a couple of months later, becuase I was utterly disgusted how the animals were kept. i reported them to the RSPCA, and drastic changes were made to how the outdoor giants, and their chickens were kept ;).

I couldn't stop looking at the giants when i worked there, and I made every possible excuse to clean them out, feed them or whatever, just so i could see them :lol:. few months later, I decided to see how everything was, and to see if the giants were in bad condition, once again, but they were being kept well. I looooved them so much, and begged the rents for another pair of buns :lol:. Soon, we looked at some breeders, and thats how my initial pair, Hermione and Oscar came here to be!

We didn't plan to get a bunny, and I had never thought about wanting one, until my boyfriend text me while at work (in a pet shop) saying "let's get a rabbit", and i replied thinking he was joking and said "oh yeah, go on then", and I got to his house that evening and there she was! She'd been dumped at the shop and Jamie felt sorry for her so brought her home! Neither of us knew anything about rabbits, we had no idea where we were going to keep her as we weren't living together, and didn't have a clue what we were going to do with her. But because of her it made us grow up and actually get a flat together (after 5 years!) coz otherwise she'd have had nowhere proper to live!

But now I don't think that I could live without my beautiful girl :love::love::love: I love her so much :love::love::love:

I blame the school. :lol:
When I started Agriculture school the first animals arriving there were two mixbred rabbits later named Nala and Kiara.
I would sit out in the free periods feeding them leaves every day, and eventually started asking my mom if I could have one.
She was reluctant at first, first saying our dog would eat it...then she suggested to "borrow" one from a nearby farm...then when my friend's rabbit had babies I asked her straight out and she said yes. :D
And since that rabbit (Zakura, now 4 years old) it just grew from there. :lol:

Well we had all sorts of animals when I was growing up - dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, budgies, fish, gerbils, hamsters, mice -oh & a couple of goats in my mum's back garden :shock::lol: Like you do!!!! :lol: So I'd always loved animals from a very young age - although I too as a child kept bunnies & gp's together :oops::oops::oops: I also didn't know as much about bunnies then as we do now - ours were always kept the 'traditional' way :cry:

We got our first house bun in 2002 after my sister's friend found Roscoe as a stray in her garden. We'd just had to have one of our cats PTS & my sister rang to ask if we wanted to give Roscoe a home?

We went over to see him & fell in love with him straight away :love::love::love: So off to PAH we went to buy him his new home - Mark immediately thought he would be living outside & I said no way, he was moving in the house!!! So that was that - after about a year, we decided he needed a wife, so went to the RSPCA for 1 girlie bun & came back with Bracken & Willow :shock:

We then decided to get Willow her own husbun so adopted Ollie from a rescue in Dec 07 - I then started volunteering at the rescue & the rest they say 'is history'. We've now got 23 buns & I wouldn't change it for the world - well............... except to have more buns if we'd got the room & could afford them ;)

The typical childhood bunnies - Mopsy + Flopsy. They were both from pah, but i got them when i was like 8 i think :lol: Flopsy died quite young, the vet thinks sommat she picked up in pah, not sure though :(
Then i was left with my beautiful Mopsy :love: :love: She really got me into bunnehs, she was a right moody when she was a baby but oh my she turned into such a lovely bunny :love: :love: :love:

I always wanted one as a kid, and was always playing with my friends bunnies, but Mum never let me have one.

When me and Martyn had been together a few months, we went to Pets at home and looked at the bunnies. A lovely little Harlequin lop came to see us, and i fell for her. I couldn't stop thinking about her and mentioned her to my mum. A few days later Mum went down and he bunny went up to her too. Mum fell for her. A few more days later, me and Mum went. After an hour of looking at this beautiful bunny and some serious thinking, we brought her home with a nice big hutch and a run. We named her Biscuit on the way to the vets the following day to get her vaccinated. I loved her from day 1.

Biscuit went to the bridge on Sunday. We had very nearly 3 years of fun with her. She was my best friend.

I always loved animals and wanted to be a vet as a kid but grew out of it in my early teens and when i was 16 i feel in love with Thumper in a pet shop.

He had been there over a month and always looked sad after his brother was sold but being an agouti bunny they are always last to go. I begged my mum and dad and they said if i pay for him, his food and vet fees etc i could get him.

Ever since then ive been hooked.:D:D

Back