• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another neuter question

Rachie

Mama Doe
Oliver rabbit went in to be neutered yesterday morning, all went well so I brought him home yesterday afternoon.

The nurses advised me to lock him into his house until Saturday (when he goes back for a check up). He was a complete space cadet last night from the anaesthetic so he seemed quite happy in his confinement but today he's wide awake and is chomping at the bit (or his bars :lol: ) to be out and about.

I know its in his best interests to kept him locked up, I guess I just want someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing (or tell me to let him loose). I feel ever so guilty as he usually has the run of the house! :oops:

Also, another little question - he's been eating and pooping fine but he doesn't seem to be weeing or drinking very much. Is this normal? How long should I leave it for before giving the vets a call for advice?

Thanks everyone xxx

Oliver rabbit went in to be neutered yesterday morning, all went well so I brought him home yesterday afternoon.

The nurses advised me to lock him into his house until Saturday (when he goes back for a check up). He was a complete space cadet last night from the anaesthetic so he seemed quite happy in his confinement but today he's wide awake and is chomping at the bit (or his bars :lol: ) to be out and about.

I know its in his best interests to kept him locked up, I guess I just want someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing (or tell me to let him loose). I feel ever so guilty as he usually has the run of the house! :oops:

Also, another little question - he's been eating and pooping fine but he doesn't seem to be weeing or drinking very much. Is this normal? How long should I leave it for before giving the vets a call for advice?

Thanks everyone xxx

I have had both my boys neutered and i know it seems to cruel to keep them shut in but it IS in their best interest as the biggest thing is they don't want to be jumping up or running to much while they are healing. normally i kept my two shut in for the first two days then let them out but ensuring there was nothing for them to jump up on and only gave them a small area just to strech there legs for 3 lots of 15mins that day and then again the following day :wave: As for the not weeing and drinking.... has he drank at all or had any wee's? also if he is eating veg, fruit or grass they get water from that so they don't drink as much but if at all concerned i would phone the vets just for advice.... also remember he may be a bit tender in that area so may not be to keen to wee at the moment :oops::oops:

He might be `holding on' to his wee because he's a little sore down there!
Does he have access to his normal litter tray? he might not want to go elsewhere.
If you give him juicy greens he will get plenty of moisture from those so won't need to drink lots.
You could let him out in one room but no jumping up to to the furniture or running around like a loon :)

Hi, thanks for the replies!

He still hadn't drank anything last night so my other half moved his water bottle and he was straight in there! He's weeing lots now too (rabbit, not other half!)

Going to take him in for his check up tomorrow and then hopefully be able to let him loose again!

Hi, thanks for the replies!

He still hadn't drank anything last night so my other half moved his water bottle and he was straight in there! He's weeing lots now too (rabbit, not other half!)

Going to take him in for his check up tomorrow and then hopefully be able to let him loose again!

glad to hear he is ok....you will probably have a exploding bunny when you first let him out.. yoshi and gizmo where jumping and darting around everywhere they were so happy to be out.... so much enterainment :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm dying to get him out and give him a cuddle!

I may have spend the rest of the day sat in the kitchen with him :oops:

Back