• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big Bald Patch

Hi,

I'm a bit worried about my bun.
i was brushing him last night which was only the 2nd time i have been able to properly brush him in the 2 weeks I have had him as he has always been a little nervous.

He sat so still last night and seemed to be enjoying every minute of it.
i was getting a lot of hair out of him which I assumed was because it had been so long since he had, had a proper brush. when i let him jump back down onto the floor I noticed there was a huge bald patch on his back that was all bright red and slightly beleeding, which was from the brush.
it doesnt seem to hurt him at all as i can touch it and he doesnt flinch at all.
he has bad skin on the top of his head due to a bad diet from his previous owners but thi patch that is from the back of his neck to halfway doen his back, is totally flake free.
he was checked at the vet for mites before we got him and he had the all clear.
does anyone know what this might be.
i feel terrible i didnt notice this before, it has really upset me.

:wave: hi.......you could very possible have overgroomed him....niki did this to bertie a while back and it was awful:( its a case of bathe with cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt...and put sudocrem or similar on it...also ring the vets and ask if any baytril antibiotics maybe needed in case.

youve had him 2 weeks..its been a lot for him to cope with coming to live with you trying to trust etc. This amount of stress itself can bring on mites no matter how short a time.
Best way to look for mites is to pesuade someone else to help you and comb the fur around his tail base area very gently and then look at the fur on the comb..a cheap plastic nit comb form the chemist for about 40p is ideal!!
you will see if theres a lot of fine dead skin flakes like dust and even closer oyu may see weeny browny black specs which if you look long enough wiggle:shock:

they dont always get huge flakes on their backs etc..more often or not its the massive amounts of fine powdery skin aorund their butt or base of tail thats a good indication along with fur loss..in heaps!!

ask the vet for some XENO 450 drops...NOT XENEX and they will hopefully rid the mites if thats what it maybe.
my mums bun has been pulling the fur out aorund her underneck bit...the furs growing back no sign of mites anywhere but shes been very stressed and over grooming her "bib"...if in doubt sek the advice of the vet over the phone first mayb.

good luck

When my bun Bernie was shedding his fur last month, I do the usual of wetting my hand and comb his fur w/ my hand to help him remove the shedded fur.

Same thing happened. A patch of fur come out and I see his skin. No blood of course. But my hand combing his fur can't possibly get the fur off his skin to the pt. that there is his skin. But in the end, after a no. of days, his new fur grow back, no problem

Back