• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what should a rabbit weigh

The best thing would be to take your bun to see a nurse at your vets for a weight check and she should be able to give you an idea of your buns ideal weight. Most vets won't charge for this but it's best to phone and check first :)

i think i over feed my buns but the girls have babies. Im wondering if im over feeding as Thumper always has food in his bowl and veg when i go to feed them at tea time.
Maybe i sohuld take a photo and see what you guys think (i mean of their meals)

Yeah i agree... take them to the vets :) Our vets do a free health check with the nurse, they will give them a good check over and check their weighs etc :)

Dwarf lops can range in size thats the thing :? Theres no right or wrong weight, it all depends on the bunnys body size :) I have 2 dwarf lops, 1 is 2.6kg, the other 2.2kg, and both are an ideal weight :)

xXx

i think i over feed my buns but the girls have babies. Im wondering if im over feeding as Thumper always has food in his bowl and veg when i go to feed them at tea time.
Maybe i sohuld take a photo and see what you guys think (i mean of their meals)

Yep take a pic...

Just on a rough note though, they should only get an eggcup full sorta size of pellets a day :) xXx

My lionhead is about 4kg :lol: hes not fat though, hes "just right" according to the vets. I have an english lop who is 2.2 which is also apparently a good weight for a male bunny!

:lol: If they get alot more at the moment, cut them down gradually! I mean literally take away a few less pellets each day. Also remember to increase their hay or whatever to make up for it :)

Buns diet should be 80% hay, 10% veg and 10% pellets - there or there abouts :) xXx

so bascially i need to make sure they eat hay, i know Molly eats hers but when i go to feed perdy and her babies perdy is fighting to get ot the pellets even though she has loads of hay. She even jumps in the bag to get it while i pour it out that i have had to start taking hte bowl out and fill it up. She acts like shes never fed. Mind oyu so is molly now. Im asuming its because of the babies, but even the babies are eating it all too

i am defo over feeding them. I give them a bowl full of pellets in the morning plus loads of hay plus veg, again bowl full, you know the ceramic bowls, then the same for tea, with fruit (apple carrot, celery, cucumber, parsnips, and once a week a weetabix)

http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-bowls/product-is-13910

this bowl in fact

:shock: Thats alot of food.

I have 5 mini lops and they all vary in size and weight.

They get a tablespoon of pellets a day (teaspoon for Fudge, shes only ickle) Unlimited hay all day and a bowl of mixed veg once a day.

Gradually cut down on the amount of food you feed over a few months :D

now i know why its costing me so much. I give Perdy more becaue of the babies so she gets over a bowl full twice a day. RIGHT they are in a diet :lol:

now i know why its costing me so much. I give Perdy more becaue of the babies so she gets over a bowl full twice a day. RIGHT they are in a diet :lol:

If there are baby bunnies with mummy then dont reduce the food too much until they are a little older. How old are they?

My neutered male lionhead weighs between 1.4-1.5kg and my spayed female mini lop weighs between1.6-1.7kg. They're always heavier by the end of summer. I've tried to fatten Bandit up as he always feel skinny but the vet assures me its nothing to worry about. Mine get a handful of pellets (half SS and half Excel) every evening and fresh hay twice a day. They have a very small amount of veg also.

Back