• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions on possible head tilt?

**leanne**

Warren Scout
Me and a friend were talking about her bunny today when she said she'd started sitting with her head slightly tilted and they thought it was a bit strange as she'd run through her legs last week and bumped into them and it seems to be since then. I said that it doesn't sound good to me as it sounded like she had a possible head tilt (they didn't know rabbits could get this) There are no other symptoms so I'm just wondering so I could pass the info on how a head tilt may be caused, symptoms, treatment etc as I think I may have panicked them???? So does anyone have any advice for me to give them as I don't know too much about it myself......

My bunny had headtilt and it does sound like the symptons my Wesley had. He kept bumping into to things and falling over. Its caused by an ear infection or EC. I'd suggest that your friend gets the rabbit to the vets asap as it is best to treat it quickly.

The Rabbit needs to be examined by a Vet.
Head Tilt can be caused by a middle/Inner ear infection or EC. Pain in the mouth or an eye injury can also cause Bun to tilt his/her head.
All these conditions need prompt treatment.
Treatment is likely to include antibiotics, anti-inflammatories plus Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) if EC is suspected.

Hope she gets on ok at the vets. Out of interest, what breed is she?
Head tilt in large breeds are more likely to be caused by ear infections but in small breed E. C. is more likely :)

Will you let us know how she get's on? Hope she's ok.

Re the large breed thing. I think the fact that large breed are often lops may be the reason for ear infections being more commonly the cause.
anyway it's going off topic, but I needed something to fill the vacant U.I. cells in my brain.
http://books.google.com/books?id=t_8ePlBwx3EC&pg=PA270&lpg=PA270&dq=head+tilt+prevalence+large+breeds&source=bl&ots=q6C2n9kGNj&sig=Qi9m3VloUY0mHcPtRzSlLTY9aLo&hl=en&ei=K0TLSdvWEeHMjAeh5qDsCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
U.I. = useless information:)

Will you let us know how she get's on? Hope she's ok.

Re the large breed thing. I think the fact that large breed are often lops may be the reason for ear infections being more commonly the cause.
anyway it's going off topic, but I needed something to fill the vacant U.I. cells in my brain.
http://books.google.com/books?id=t_8ePlBwx3EC&pg=PA270&lpg=PA270&dq=head+tilt+prevalence+large+breeds&source=bl&ots=q6C2n9kGNj&sig=Qi9m3VloUY0mHcPtRzSlLTY9aLo&hl=en&ei=K0TLSdvWEeHMjAeh5qDsCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
U.I. = useless information:)

Yep, I have that book :)

Back