• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am soo FUMING at stupid vets!!!

vicki267

Mama Doe
Right, we all know how stressful it is putting any animal in for an operation under GA.

Well today I put Jet in for her spay (booked over a week ago).

I was told that they would call me 12:30-13:00 to tell me how she is.

At 2pm I hadn't received a call so I called them, they said they couldn't get hold of a vet :shock: and will call me back in 30 mins... I started to worry a bit here.

Anyway they called back and the stupid receptionist kept calling Jet a HE and proceeded to tell me there was a problem with oxygen but all is OK and HE is fine.

At 4pm I just had a call to say that she couldn't be done today as they had emergency after emergency!!!

I had assumed she had been done!

They offered to keep her in overnight - With noone there, FFS why would I do that to her :shock:

Then the vet called me back to say she can stay free of charge oh whoopie! He said that the Oxygen was delivered late and then an emergency came in at 3pm so they cant operate on her. They offered to take off 10% for her spay tomorrow.

My mum's just gone to pick her up. I have spent all day bleaching and steam cleaning everything, not to mention being worried sick about her!!!

I didn't sleep at all last night and now I'm guessing I'll sleep even less tonight.

I took the afternoon off work today and I only have to work for one hour in the morning, all of this was arranged because of her spay today.

Friday I am working all morning. I feel so stressed with everything right now, this is just the icing on the cake. I cant put the op off any longer as I convinced myself it would be over :cry:

She cant go back in her usual area yet as it's still airing out so a healthy bunny needs to go in a hospital cage for the night - I guess it's better than staying there though.

Rant over...

Hmm two things they don't have a clue on then..

- how hard it is for bunny mummy to take her bun for an op - the worry etc so we need it over and done with, with communication from the vet when promised!
- how it is missing them and worrying that stops us leaving them overnight, not the cost!

Clueless some of them!

It gets on my nerves when I take an animal in at 8.30am as told by the vet - and they don't operate on them early afternoon! I was told to phone at 2pm.. and they hadn't even done the buns teeth! So they sit like plums at the vets getting all stressed for 5 hours - when you could save the animal the stress and take it in at lunchtime!

Then you worry until they call you, worry cos they haven't called you, psyche yourself up to phone them incase of bad news and then they haven't even done what they were meant to do.. so you go through it all over again... I am not suprised you are fed up. I can totally sympathise :(

I understand that emergencies have to come first but I would have appreciated a call this morning to say the operation cant go ahead until later and that they cant guarantee she'll be done today.

Mum still not back, hope she hasn't shouted at them too much :oops:

Hmm two things they don't have a clue on then..

- how hard it is for bunny mummy to take her bun for an op - the worry etc so we need it over and done with, with communication from the vet when promised!
- how it is missing them and worrying that stops us leaving them overnight, not the cost!

Clueless some of them!

It gets on my nerves when I take an animal in at 8.30am as told by the vet - and they don't operate on them early afternoon! I was told to phone at 2pm.. and they hadn't even done the buns teeth! So they sit like plums at the vets getting all stressed for 5 hours - when you could save the animal the stress and take it in at lunchtime!

Then you worry until they call you, worry cos they haven't called you, psyche yourself up to phone them incase of bad news and then they haven't even done what they were meant to do.. so you go through it all over again... I am not suprised you are fed up. I can totally sympathise :(

I work in a vets and it completely depends what surgeries are in for the day, generally, all they surgeries are done by 12pm, but one day when there was 2 cruciate ligament repairs, it wasn't finished until 3pm, and that vet had consults at 4pm so only an hour break! They can not call everyone as it is a very busy time, so ask you to call and speak to a nurse who will update you on the animals condition and if it is okay to make an appointment to collect or not etc.

What happened to Vicki was very bad, but do not tarnish vets all with the same brush, day to day, none are the same!

Mum's just got back. She spoke to the Vet and he is doing it himself tomorrow, free of charge.

A simple call at 11:00-12:00 saying they might not be able to fit her in today would have sufficed as I wouldn't have spent the afternoon worrying and cleaning all her bits and bobs etc.

I'm just making up the small cage for tonight and we are taking her in after I've finished work in the morning so I dont have to wait as long to hear back from them.

Communication skills are awful and would have prevented all the upset :(

I still have another restless night ahead and the worry about her pulling through the op tomorrow knowing she has had a history of seizures :cry:

Sorry :oops: I'm not tarnsihing them all - just commenting on the experience on topic and my own experience off topic.. having taken 10 buns, 2 cats, and 1 piggle for spay/castrate, and varying dentals, xrays etc the same pattern is repeated.. not done by the time I call, or not ready as they have just come out of surgery, they never call me after an op (even if they say they will) I have to call them... it's not a one-off thing I am whinging about :D honest :lol:

I'm trying to say they do not seem to understand how the stress of delays and unreliability affects the owners wellbeing (stress wise etc).

My usual vets are brilliant and never let me down. However due to her previous problems I kept her at the vets that knew her. I was going to transfer her to my vets once the big op is over.

If they cancel me again tomorrow I will be going to my usual vets :?

Fingers crossed for us both tomorrow :roll:

My usual vets are brilliant and never let me down. However due to her previous problems I kept her at the vets that knew her. I was going to transfer her to my vets once the big op is over.

If they cancel me again tomorrow I will be going to my usual vets :?

Fingers crossed for us both tomorrow :roll:

vicky with her being extra special needs and everything ireally would cancel with these vets and get her done with your normal fab ones, as they are so much better by sounds of things. i know hospitalising any bun is stressful and with her other issues it cant help the extra stress. poor you hope she alright vibes for jet xxx

It's the fact that she is/was special needs that I kept her at the vets that know her :(

She is happy enough tonight lol, poor love must have been confused :roll:

The vets in question have been recommended by other members on here for neuters and especially the actual vet who is doing her op.

I'm giving them one more chance tomorrow as he said it's the 1st time in 10 years he's been let down by the oxygen company :?

We'll see, I know it sounds horrible but if anything is going to go wrong, especially with her it would probably happen regardless of where she goes, noone can stop a seizure mid op etc :cry: Although it doesn't help my nerves :roll:

I just need to get some sleep tonight, might still go buy some wine to help with that :lol:

My vets are a little like this (terrible at calling) 2 buns went in on Monday and I had 2 vet nurses call to say they were fine, dont people speak to each other :roll: you'd think they would have at least one person to be responsible to phone all owners to keep them updated, its not rocket science. So they should give you a free spay!! I would tell them to get more staff in IN case of emergencies, geezzz. :? I gave my vets a bowl of food, veg etc and i havent seen it since, thives!! :roll: you just cant get the staff these days!! Hope all goes well tmo!!

Well Jet is home. She allegedly ate her veg after she came round, but hasn't been interested in eating since she got home.

I have been syringing her water, which she is licking from the end but doesn't want to drink from the bowl yet.

I also syringed her some baby food as so far it's all she wanted.

So now all I need is pooping and eating vibes :D

Vet said he gave her metaclop and metacam injections before she left.

To be honest I wouldn't syringe her anything today, she's had a major operation and won't be feeling like eating yet. I think trying to syringe too soon can be counter-productive as it will raise their stress levels unnecessarily, I think they're better off being left alone and quiet in a warm, dimly lit room the evening after a spay, and would only worry if something seems seriously wrong or she hasn't eaten or drunk by the morning. Being quiet and not wanting to eat or drink is perfectly normal this evening :)

Thanks hun, I went and bought that wine in the end :lol:

Did you get my text about the NIC cubes?

which text? I thought i replied?? Did you manage to see if they were in B+Q? Did the vets keep to their word and give you a freebie?? I'm trying to find a cheaper/better vets, let me know if you know of one, I would travel if it was worth it. J x

To be honest I wouldn't syringe her anything today, she's had a major operation and won't be feeling like eating yet. I think trying to syringe too soon can be counter-productive as it will raise their stress levels unnecessarily, I think they're better off being left alone and quiet in a warm, dimly lit room the evening after a spay, and would only worry if something seems seriously wrong or she hasn't eaten or drunk by the morning. Being quiet and not wanting to eat or drink is perfectly normal this evening :)

Must admit I don't syring feed unless really necessary, I too find it is more stressful for them.

If she has eaten a bit at the vets I would leave well alone for tonight :)

So pleased she has come through ok :wave:

I'm not actually forcing the food/water down her. I am putting it into a syringe and letting her lick it up as I push it out as she doesn't want to move which is understandable.

She munched a few pellets and has done a wee.

The NIC cubes were out of stock but meant to be due in again soon ;)

Oh and I only have their word for it that she ate her food at the vets :? I gave them loads of food and the tub came back empty so I doubt she did eat there :?

Came down this morning and she had done loads of big golden poops :D

She's eating small bits throughout the day and looking much more alert although she isn't eating any hay yet, I have given her a hay cake and put a mixture of hay in a cereal box to pick out as and when.

Check up tomorrow :D

Back