• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care after castration?

GBNI

Warren Scout
Adrian is booked in for his op in a week and a half time. My vet is fab and I know he is in the best hands.

But just a few questions -

How will I get him to eat after surgery if he goes off his food?
Should I try and bring him inside? (he is an outdoor bun)
What bedding should I keep him on?
Do the stitches tend to disolvable?
How long should I wait before finding him a girlfriend? I am going to a rescue centre so I am hoping they will already be spayed.

Adrian is booked in for his op in a week and a half time. My vet is fab and I know he is in the best hands.

But just a few questions -

How will I get him to eat after surgery if he goes off his food?
Should I try and bring him inside? (he is an outdoor bun)
What bedding should I keep him on?
Do the stitches tend to disolvable?
How long should I wait before finding him a girlfriend? I am going to a rescue centre so I am hoping they will already be spayed.

Make sure your vet gives pain relief and a gut stimulant and make sure you have plenty of his favorite foods, especially greens such as herbs, dandelions leaves, spring greens etc.
He will need to stay indoors for a couple of nights as he will be prone to getting hypothermic after his op and also you need to keep an eye on him.
He will be best on soft blankets or towels for a few days as these are lesslikely to irritate his wounds.
Many vets don't stitch castration wounds as they heal ok without. They may use a drop of special glue.
He is potentially still fertile for 6-7 weeks. It is best to wait that long also to give his hormones chance to settle down before choosing a mate :)

Thank you for your help :)

I don't know what I'm going to do about keeping him inside though, I have nothing to keep him in. I don't have enough room to keep his playpen up all the time. I'll have to find a high sided box I think...:shock:

Thank you for your help :)

I don't know what I'm going to do about keeping him inside though, I have nothing to keep him in. I don't have enough room to keep his playpen up all the time. I'll have to find a high sided box I think...:shock:

A puppy crate is ideal. he won't be needing much exercise for a couple of days :)

I went to the Animal House in college today and they have one of the indoor rabbit cages that is currently not in use so I'm allowed to borrow it :)

Back