• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A Small Question

katie240181

Young Bun
As I am new here i am not sure where to post this question, so thought i would try here:

I have a buck that i want to get neutered, so i just rang my vet and asked the normal questions to see if they tell me what i am expected to here like

they said not to starve him - good
pain killers and antibotics will be given - good
that i can take his wifebun with him - good (although the receptionist did giggle a little, think she might think i'm odd)

answered all the general questions

but when i asked about stitches, they use stitches that will need to be removed around 7-10 days later is this ok?, because i read that most vets use the ones that disolve,

they neuter lots of rabbits at my vets all the time

I have had both differing with each buck - depends on the vet doing the op I think..

(our male mice had no stitches they used superglue :shock::lol:)

both techniques are OK, each vet has his own technique so dont worry, just make sure he does not try to bite his stitches...

Thank you for the replies i just wants whats best for him like everyone does for their buns :D

will be keeping a close eye on him anyway, but he is such a naughty bunny, he'll be keeping me on my toes i know that much. :D

they all are naughty but we love them !!!:D with your experienced vet, you can really feel relaxed now and look forward to the moment he will wake up from his surgery.. for a male it is much easier than for a female anyway which is heavy surgery for them... so everything should be fine

thank you :)

i am not sure if to get my female done, i will see how she goes she is only half the size of alfie but is catching up fast she was the runt of the litter and is picking up nicely although she is very small, she loves alfie dearly and follows him everywhere although she is small she is the boss and alfie knows it he snuggles to her all the time but if is eating or drinking and she is not there she comes running over to him and pushes him gently out the way so she can get to the water, but they do share (she doesn't hurt him she just likes to have what he has) i think she annoys him tho as she can get under my sofa yet alfie is to big and he sits there waiting for her to come out, (we're watching of course so she doesn't get herself stuck) (sorry keep going on about them :))

i know the female op is a bigger deal than the boy so wouldn't want to put her through something so stressful unless i thought she should cope, i am hoping with time she will get as big as alfie, she eats a lot more than he does x

I asked my vets the same question and the answer to the method of stitching depended on who I was speaking to as each vet has their own preferred method.

It's true that spaying is a much bigger operation, but I would strongly advise it for your female bun. Unspayed females are at a very high risk of uterine cancer from the age of 2. As long as your vet has lots of experience with spaying bunnies, it's a very safe operation. :)

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

Back