• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some hutch questions!

clarebear

Mama Doe
Just wondered what people use to clean their rabbit's hutches with? I've read that it should be given a good scrub out, and wondered what I could use to do this. Obviously it needs to be 'Rabbit Friendly'!

Also, Brambles hutch could do with being re-painted. What kind of paint or stain can I use to do this?

Many thanks in advance :wave:

We use Virkon S Powder - bought a tub off ebay a year ago and still got it! It cos about £18 including P&P and I think it's the 1kg tub. You mix with water 10g to 1 litre of water. It is used in farming/kennels/catteries/vets etc. You can make up as much or as little as you need which is good.

It is fine to use but you must make sure hutch etc is dry before buns go back in, and that food bowls are rinsed of all residue.

I've used Jeyes Fluid in the past, dilute as directions for hutches and kennels and allow to dry thoroughly before returning animals.

Once a week everything gets emptied out and all soiled (wet/white dry pee marks/poop stuck on etc) areas are sprayed and scrubbed, then left to dry. Food bowls / bottles are also cleaned. But I use a dash of washing up liquid and hot water in bottles. I use cheap washing up scourers for the scrubbing.

Litter trays are emptied several times a week and scrubbed/disinfected with virkon when/if the have pee in the bottom etc. (sometimes a tray is used for poo only depending on their moods! So just needs a rinse, as we have a group of 5 buns and 7 litter boxes in the wendyhouse!)

We too use Jeyes Fluid just on the patio and in runs though, we use it weekly, then leave to dry before buns are allowed back out. :wave:

Bramble's hutch is on the patio itself. He has straw in his actual hutch, but nothing in his run. I brought two 'Chill & Chew' mats for his run and he likes to sit on those instead. Is this okay, or should he have straw or shavings in his run too?

I brought a spray cleaner yesterday in Pets at Home, so I will give this ago this week.

I use diluted lemon juice for the litter tray in my bunny room, works ok. Sometimes I sprinkle bicarb soda on the floor (if they have had wee wee accidents) and its smelly and I hoover it up after.

Vinegar works well too, and is also bunny safe, I think you dilute it half and half, also good because its cheap :D

As long as the mats he sits on are not damp or mouldy etc fromt he weather they should be fine. If he pees or poops on them a lot they will need changing regularly though as in the summer it could attract flies..

When we have built the new run ours will have slab base, litter tray, cane chair to sit on, plastic tunnels, some grass trays to munch and dig in... but I don't think I will put any straw or sawdust in.. as if it rains they will be left sitting on damp stuff all day till I get in. I know some people use rubber matting in the runs. Not sure where to get it though :D

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. Bramble seems quite happy to either sit directly on the patio slabs or on one of his mats. So I think I'll keep things as they are. I was also worried about it raining and everything getting wet too.

Back