• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leg injury but not fighting!

Lynsey

Young Bun
Hello, I'm just after some advice on how to proceed with our two rabbits who are about 6 months old and are brother and sister. Septimus was neutered a few weeks ago but Hester hasn't been done yet. They have been living very happily together and have never been apart. Before the neutering we noticed Septimus was very interested in Hester's leg and kept shoving his face in there. We even mentioned it at the vets at vaccination time and the vet couldn't see anything amiss with the leg at the time. :?
But recently I've had a look at the leg and can see an injury there about 1.5cm in length. It doesn't look infected and she is very well in herself. We are keeping her in a temporary cage while he is staying in the hutch. The plan is that if it heals up, he might forget all about it and revert to normal behaviour. So they don't lose touch with each other, we have been letting them spend supervised time together in the evenings. But he can't leave her leg alone and we're really worried that the situation won't resolve itself. Would it be better to keep them completely apart until it's fully healed so that he gets a chance to unlearn the problem behaviour? They both seem really happy together, with no aggression so apart from this it seems a real shame they can't be together. I haven't got the space really to keep them apart long term so if anyone can suggest anything to help I'd be so grateful!

Thanks, I'm not too sure what bitter apple is? And wouldn't it sting the injury? I'm bathing the injury twice a day at the moment.

I'd get the vet to have another look. Is it an injury that the bunny is worrying at or an injury caused by the bunny worrying it?

I spoke to the vet nurse over the phone about it, because it isn't infected, causing obvious pain or preventing any movement. It's the boy rabbit worrying the girl rabbit, she isn't interested in her injury at all and doesn't even seem that bothered when he pesters her.

Thanks for all your advice.:thumb: The bite healed up and I managed to get my hands on some bitter apple. They are both back together after a rapid rebonding process in my kitchen! :DThey seem so pleased to be together again - I'm so glad it didn't get worse as in the other thread about poor little Dave. That is such a sad story.

Back