• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can any one help with breed

If you have rescued him, please may I ask you not to breed him.
It would be extremely irresponsible, especially not knowing his genetic background, he could carry a genetic disorder and the kits could be severly handicapped or even worse.
Just ask a few people on here of their experiences :cry:
Why not neuter him so that he is free from hormonal frustration so that he can live the rest of his life in peace.

I think his colour is Harlequin. Either dwarf Lop or French lop, im rubbish at looking at sizes through photos :lol:

I agree with Hetty. Its better for all really. Plus once you neuter him you can get him a girlfriend :D
Did you rescue him from a 'proper' rescue or somewhere else?

breed

i have paid for blood test ect to check he is healthy ect he is, he came from a breeder he was a rescue as the woman said he was ugly and wanted him pts i paid her not to do this then took him on a while later, he has been bred before and all the babies are healthy and happy, thank u for your concers

i have paid for blood test ect to check he is healthy ect he is, he came from a breeder he was a rescue as the woman said he was ugly and wanted him pts i paid her not to do this then took him on a while later, he has been bred before and all the babies are healthy and happy, thank u for your concers

I don't think that he is ugly at all. He looks like a Giant Harquelin French Lop.
In my opinion, I still think it'll be responsible, especially if you rescued him from this breeder who obviously wasn't responsible at all.
Why not give him a rest ;)

arr ok then.
Also does your friend check on the homes etc for the babies?
There are alot of rabbits in homes because of irresponsable breeders.

He is lovely though :love:

he was last bred 7 mths ago he leads a happy life he does notting but have a rest lol, he will only be put to one female then he is getting the snip! I would never make him cover a load of female as i no this is unfair, the breeder already had a list of people waiting for the babys so they wont be another un wanted litter, he is a very happy bunny if he wasnt i would have got him the snip a long time ago :)

He looks like a French or German Lop cross. The colour is harlequin.

I think it is highly unethical to use a rescue bunny of unknown heritage to breed from and am frankly concerned that the breeder who wants to put him to stud cannot even identify the breeds involved in his make up.

Im intrigued by what blood tests have been carried out him too, especially as these cannot determine if he may have dental issues. Can you enlighten us?

Awww, he is beautiful:love: Have to say though that I agree with the points already made about not breeding from him. Obviously you understand how many animals are in rescue centres needing homes as you have rescue animals yourself. Why not just enjoy him as a pet?

all homes are checked and they have to show they will have hutch run ect, they are on a waiting list then we check homes ask them about basic care ect, if they dont pass they dont get a bunny they have to also send proof of the bunny being netured, if they find they can not care for the rabbit they come back, my friend wants to breed him because he is unusal and he fatherd a lovly litter before

I can see you love your beautiful bunny and want what you see as the best for him. But please be open to another point of view. What people are trying to say is that there are already many thousands of rabbits in rescues, babies and adults, who deserve loving, caring homes. Let the people on the breeders waiting list think about offering them a loving home. Don't add to the problem by breeding more rabbits. However much a person thinks they want and are able to give a "cute" baby bunny a new home unfortunatley many haven't really thought it through and it doesn't work out - thats why so many end up in rescues.

I am surprised that your breeder friend was unable to tell you that his colour is called Harlequin - I would question her knowledge.

Last edited:
There are many unsual rabbits waiting for homes in rescues. There is really no need to add to the number. Backyard breeders like your friend are one of the main reason that there are so many bunnies in rescues.

I have a very similar bunny to yours, and have seen quite a few with that pattern, so they are not really that unusual. Crossbreed harlequin lop, Heinz 57, and definitely not ugly. :)

Just have to say that it made me laugh when she wants a letter to show that the babies have been neutered when shes a breeder :lol:

Whilst I do not agree with breeding at all it does sound as though this breedor is being sensible about how they work.

Unfortunately we will never put a stop to the breeding of animals and so have to work with it and advise the best we can.

To answer your orignal question- I would guess at a French Lop cross

I see you are a 'new kit', hello :wave:

I often look at the other messages of new kits before I reply so I can see what sort of messages they have posted and such like. I see that you have two impossibly cute bunnies - whoop whoop! They are very beautiful. Can I just ask a few questions without appearing rude (which I probably do) but:

Are they kept together? If so, is she neutered so that she won't get pregnant?

Do you keep them both in the 4ft hutch? If so, even with a run it isn't really big enough for one bun, let alone two especially when one is so gorgeously big.

It might be an idea to have a look at the Rabbit Welfare Association website and see what kind of things they recommend, they also have an excellent web-page about breeding rabbits which might be of interest. http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

Your buns really are both very beautiful, and well done you for not letting the vet put the blind one to sleep!

Emma

sorry, im not trying to be rude, but why do you want to breed him if you don't even know his breed or colour?

He's gorgeous, looks like a dwarf lop to me, but probably a cross as he's rather big! His ears seem too short to be a german, he looks a lot more like Floppy my mum's dwarf lop than Teddy my German in the ears.

Really? :?

The OP said they homecheck people that take bunnies from them and will refuse people if they dont theink they will look after them well.

In my books that a breedor being about as sensible as they can. Like I said I dont agree with it, but at least they are homechecking people!

Back