• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma

RubyGordy

Alpha Buck
Last year I took on a Rabbit and Guinea for someone who could no longer keep them. They were in a small, very dirty hutch when I picked them up but had run of the house and seemed happy together.

Now they live with me and are in a huge hutch and have the run of the garden and still seem happy together. The rabbit is female; not neutered but jabbed and the Guinea male; also not neutered. Ruby rabbit is about 3 now and Gordon the piggie is about 2.

I know everyone says the two should not live together and ordinarily I would not have this pairing but they do seem OK together.

I can't decide whether I should keep things as they are. The alternative is to get another hutch and find a friend or two for the piggie. And find a boyfriend for Ruby. Not easy as I know nothing about bonding etc.
I guess it would also mean having Gordon snipped.

I wouldn't mind the cost - it's just knowing what to do for the best!

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks.

Roz

I think for the long term yes it is best if you can find them some friends of their own species :)

Definately get them both neutered first, it will make the bonding process a lot easier.

I agree with the above, and the Ruby should definitely get spayed, as I've heard the risk for uterine cancer in a female rabbit over 3 years old can be as high as 80%. It's worth it for her sake.

Sounds like they have a very loving home now though :love:

Definitely neuter the female bun. Any female bun over the age of 2 has a 80% of uterus cancer. Get a rehome male bun from 1 of the rescue centers here, and do the same thing for the guinea pig

Definately neuter them both and fine them friends, just think how gooey you will go when Ruby is snuggled up to her Prince having a mutual grooming session. there is nothing better.

Plus as others have pointed out Ruby will live longer as she has a lot less chance of getting cancers.

Im not up on guinea pigs, but I am sure Gordon would prefer a harem of girlies to call his own to.

Plus any rescue animal would be most grateful for the love care and warm and safe home that you would give them

I agree they'll be far happier with a friend of their own kind.

Just to add, you wouldn't necessarily have to neuter the piggie as you could probably bond him with a baby boar. Two boys need a good amount of space but can live happily. If you prefer to get him a girlfriend you could obviously neuter though.

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated.

Looks like new faces are going to be arriving, then! :)

Feel a bit out of my depth though - will get in touch with the rescue centres for some help. Exciting, too though.

Cheers again.

Roz

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated.

Looks like new faces are going to be arriving, then! :)

Feel a bit out of my depth though - will get in touch with the rescue centres for some help. Exciting, too though.

Cheers again.

Roz

The excitement and your enthusiasm for doing what is right will make up for being out of your depth. Some reading and the rescue centres will soon help that and being on here for any length of time will cure it! You'll be a (relative) expert in 6 months :lol:

Emma

The excitement and your enthusiasm for doing what is right will make up for being out of your depth. Some reading and the rescue centres will soon help that and being on here for any length of time will cure it! You'll be a (relative) expert in 6 months :lol:
Emma

Don't know about that! :lol:

Back