• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grunting noise and teeth grinding

tracy08

Warren Scout
Today Thumper wassat next to me on the arm of the sofa and i was stroking him. I could hear a strange noise and he was grinding his teeth and making a strange noise. Should i get him checked by the vet, just worried that there is a problem with his teeth.

There are 2 types of teeth grinding, one is a content/happy grind (equivalent of a cat purring) the other is (I believe?) much louder and an indication of a rabbit in pain. I have never heard a rabbit grinding teeth in pain so I can't tell you what it sounds like or how different it is to normal teeth grinding.

I'd give him an all-over health check and see if you can find anything out of the ordinary with him, especially around the tummy. If he is pooping and eating and peeing and drinking normally then it could just be the purring kind :) anything you suspect may be wrong with him and ring the vet.

Sounds like a happy relaxed bunny to me. If your bunny is always making loud teeth grinding sounds even when you are not stroken it then seek advice from a vet.

i have had him since nov and he as checked 4 weeks ago when he went to be neutered he got a check up and the vets said he was fine. Hes happy, plays loves kisses, and is always bouncing, im sure he thinks hes a dog lol, Hes never done this before, not that i have heard him but he ses to be getting closer to me, it was his first time he sat next to me and was hugging me lol, I think he was happy and i do give them aliot of hay mind you my rabbits dont seem to eat that much hay to be honest

Back