• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Information about sudden death syndrome

Sami M

Mama Doe
Hiya im quite new round here and was wondering if u could answer a question please!

Ive got three buns, two girls and one boy. One of the girls is new so took her to the vets to have her Myxomatosis injestion the same as the others have had and the vet mentioned that i should get her vaccinated against suden death. My other two have never been vaccinated against this and i had never heard of it before this. Has anyone had the vaccination? Is it worth doing?

Thanks x

If your rabbits run outside where wild rabbits may wander, there is a risk of contamination through the vegetation, food etc, even people who have touched carcasses of dead wild rabbits, it is as highly contagious as myxo.. This disease is highly silent with no symptoms till the last minute when the rabbit dies in intense suffering, hemorraghe etc... it is caused by a virus.. In France vets usually do the 2 vaccinations sometimes together sometimes separately as some rabbits make a skin reaction to the injection point..

Ok thanks, the bunnies are inside but will definately get them done, just thought it was strange she never mentioned it for the others!

strange, ask her why this one and not the others ? I live in a flat in Paris and my rabbit never goes outside, nor does she have any contact with other rabbits, so she is not vaccinated but should I've lived in a house with a garden I would have done so...

strange, ask her why this one and not the others ? I live in a flat in Paris and my rabbit never goes outside, nor does she have any contact with other rabbits, so she is not vaccinated but should I've lived in a house with a garden I would have done so...

Indoor Rabbits are still at risk as both Myxomatosis and VHD can be transmitted by biting insects eg mosquitos and fleas.

yes I know but in ¨Paris intra-muros where I live it's too far away for moskitos; if I lived in the suburbs or near the woods of Boulogne and Vincennes, I would as they are risks overthere... In fact several vets in Paris center are against vaccinating city Rabbits who live indoors all the time as we have no parks as you have in the UK inside the city..

Last edited:
Back