• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thinning fur - is this just a moult?

binkacat

Young Bun
My mainly white rabbit Honey looks like she's lost about 60% of her fur on top of her head - you can see the pink skin quite easily. There's no actual bald bits though. She is moulting at the minute and also I think my other rabbit Spud licks her quite a bit, I've seen him do it and the fur that she's got left looks a bit soggy. Will she be ok?

It sounds like he's overgrooming her.
Overgrooming can be caused by anxiety, boredom, frustration or being weaned too young.
It is said to help if you cut down the pellets to a tiny about and get the bun to spend more time eating hay/grass and less time grazing on his companion :)

Well they have a huge run that they have constant access to with toys in so don't see that they can be too bored. I do tend to give them more pellets every day than I know is recommended. :oops: Will cut back and give more hay. Thanks.

it could be love as well from the other rabbit grooming her excessively, or perhaps the other rabbit could be lacking of some minerals and lick her head intensively, all is possible... because if they are a pair having a run and toys to play with in addition to each other company, they should not be stressed or bored, i don't think..

hair loss can be related to dental problems,although this would normally be patchy rather than uniform... has the bunnies teeth been checked recently?

Back