• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my homeless bunny has gone

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hi i posted over the weekend about the little roaming bun that was brought to my house in the early hours of saturday morning.well he has been claimed and i guess i should be happy but im not,i feel absolutely wretched.he settled in so well and we just bonded instantly.all sunday we spent together snuggled up on the settee.then on monday morning,i got the dreaded call and by the evening he was gone.i was beside myself at having to say goodbye,but that was made even worse by the fact that the woman told me that he is always escaping and that he doesn't have a cage/hutch,he just lives under the decking in the garden:cry:.next time he escapes he probably will not be so lucky.i know it sounds ridiculous but i feel like i am grieving for him and i cant stop crying.he deserves to be so loved,i wish i hadn't done the'right thing'.i feel so devastated,like i have sent him back to live in the cold,wind+rain+thats if he doesn't get run over first.:evil:i feel so guilty.x

So sorry :cry:

Don't feel guilty though. You did what you did because you thought that someone who genuinely loved and cared for him might be beside themselves with worry. Just make sure your friends hang around where he was found, in the early hours ... you never know he might come looking for them .... ;)

Did she seem grateful for you looking after him?

hiya,i guess she was grateful and she said he was loved,but i got the impression she was a breeder.her parting words to me were something like''if i decide to get rid of him i'll give you a shout!''.the problem was i just fell instantly very deeply in love with him:love: and i didn't really think he would be claimed.x

Aww it is a horrible feeling. My guess is that they will come to you at some point, as they don't really seem to be bothered. I looked after two buns last year, and I had to give them back against my will. They also lived in the garden under the decking, and to be honest, the rabbits probably thought they had the best life living free range like that!

I knew it was a matter of time before they gave them up for good, and I was right. They are here with me now. I hope you have the same result :)

you didnt know what the owner was like it isnt your fault.
i hope he is going to be ok and if he does escape again i hope he finds his way back to you once again safe x

This is so similar to my experience last summer. I looked after a rabbit for 10 days after a neighbour found it in their garden. I knocked on a few doors but nobody was missing a rabbit. Eventually I put a notice up in the village with my mobile number. A woman rang and described it and came to claim it. She picked it up roughly by its scruff and practically threw it into a carrier with no bedding in it, said thanks and drove off.

She said her cat was always antagonising it through the hutch and it probably turned the latch by mistake .....:? She said her daughter would be really pleased.

I felt awful and wished I'd never put the notice up - some people are so ignorant when it comes to bunnies :cry:

Thats a shame :( I re homed archie recently, and I felt really awful even though he had gone to a nice home with a new wife bun, I just couldn't stop crying about it. He was gone for a week then had to come back to me because both buns were fighting. I'm so glad to have him back here and I hope (if my boyfriend will let me) that he can stay with us, I don't want to go through that again. I hope this little bunny finds his way back to you some how. I wonder if you contacted her saying that you were looking for another bunny that she might consider giving him back to you.

If she's not providing suitable housing, to be honest, you'd be perfectly justified in calling the RSPCA. It probably won't help you get her back though.

I wonder if you contacted her saying that you were looking for another bunny that she might consider giving him back to you.

well i have to admit that i felt that desperate not to let him go that i even asked if she would sell him to me:oops:she just offered to breed from him for me instead,to which i said that i wasn't interested,it was him that i had fallen in love with.i keep driving up the main road near his street hoping to see him:roll:my friends that found him originally have offered to walk their dog on that route so they can watch out for him.

just wanted to say please dont let this put you off sending a bun back to its owners. as i still havent got my snowy back and she had escaped once before but im not a bad owner iv been distraught ever since and put so many posters flyers up etc and spent weeks searching. we know there were sightings and im 99%she is alive just been taken in and someone prob doesnt want to give her back as she was so loveing she may have even appeared in a state as she had been scared by something and also had been spotted fighting with a cat tho she ran of non fatally injured. i hope who ever has my snowy is givin her a good home but id do anything to get her back. im sorry u feel let down by these owners prehaps they would let you visit? or maybe they would give him over to you? or promise if they ever rehomed him to contact you? best of luck you still did the right thing xxx

I feel so sorry for you :cry: What she said about breeding from him is horrible :shock: Poor boy.
Bunlover is right though, you should always try to locate the owner in these cases, we found a bun that had been clipped by a car and had a broken leg, we got him to the vet, eventually located the owner who said we could keep him if we wanted, that they would have had him put to sleep, he had been loose in the garden for 2wks and they were going to re home him anyway because he was pestering the female rabbit who was pregnant! Idiots. Vets found too much skin damage when they went to operate and after all that he was put to sleep :cry: Don't know why she won't give or even sell the little guy to you, she doesn't even care enough to keep him safe.

i know,it is so frustrating,i know i did the right thing but now it just feels so not right.i think we both bonded so quickly.whilst i was waiting for him to be collected we were sat cuddling on the settee and he kept putting his paws on my chest and sniffing my face as if to say''don't cry mimi''.whenever i left the room he was looking for me.he made such a huge impact on me in the 2 days he was here.still missing him badly,im so weepy!:roll:

hiya,i guess she was grateful and she said he was loved,but i got the impression she was a breeder.her parting words to me were something like''if i decide to get rid of him i'll give you a shout!''.the problem was i just fell instantly very deeply in love with him:love: and i didn't really think he would be claimed.x

awww hugs this must be awful xx

Back